This decadent Butterfinger Cake combines everyone’s favorite crispy, crunchy peanut buttery candy bar with a moist, fluffy cake!
One bite of this life-changing Butterfinger Cake, and you’ll be wondering what other candy bars you can start turning into cakes! You won’t be able to resist crispy, crunchy Butterfinger bar pieces sprinkled over the top of fluffy yellow cake and topped with creamy cool whip.
YOUR FAVORITE CANDY BAR ELEVATED
Butterfinger bars have always been a favorite of mine, but using them in a cake is one of the most genius evolutions of all time! When peanut buttery, crunchy candy pieces meet soft and fluffy cake, the world stops turning.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH BUTTERFINGER CAKE
- Butterfinger Pudding Cookies – If you have any extra Butterfingers, this cookie recipe is the greatest!
- Snickers Chocolate Parfait – If the world of candy bar desserts, this parfait cup takes the cake.
Cake Mix: Grab a box of store-bought yellow cake mix and make sure to have all the ingredients needed to make it on hand.
Sauce: You’ll need a can of sweetened condensed milk and a jar of caramel sundae topping for this sweet sauce.
Butterfingers: You can’t have Butterfinger cake without crushed Butterfinger candy bars.
Topping: You can top this cake with store-bought or Homemade Cool Whip.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERFINGER CAKE
STEP ONE: Begin by baking the yellow cake in a 9×13 inch pan as directed on the back of the box. While the cake bakes, mix together the sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce.
STEP TWO: When the cake is made baking, poke holes in it using a fork when it’s hot out of the oven. Next, pour the caramel mixture over the hot cake and allow it to sit until it’s completely cooled. The cake should soak up the caramel sauce.
STEP THREE: Crush up the Butterfinger candy bars and sprinkle two of them over the cake. Frost the Butterfinger poke cake with Cool Whip.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle the remaining two Butterfinger bars over the top of the cake. Then slice the cake into 12 squares before serving and store any leftover cake in the fridge.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Freeze the Butterfinger candy bars to make them easier to crush. Then crush them up inside the wrappers, cut off the tops, and pour the crumbs out over the cake.
- If you don’t have yellow cake mix available, vanilla or white cake mix will both work as substitutes.
- If you’re raiding the kids’ Halloween candy stash for Butterfingers, three fun-size candy bars equal one full-size candy bar. So you’d need a total of 12 fun-size bars to make this cake.
HOW LONG DOES BUTTERFINGER CAKE LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
This cake is best enjoyed the first day because the Butterfinger pieces are still crunchy. You can store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. The candy bits will begin to soften with time, but the cake is still delicious.
OTHER CANDY BARS YOU CAN USE IN A POKE CAKE
Once you realize how delicious this Butterfinger Cake is, you may wonder what other candy bars you can use in this recipe. Good news! You can use pretty much any candy bar you want! My go-to are Heath bars, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and Oreos because I like how they crumble. You can also change out the caramel topping in the recipe for chocolate or butterscotch.
OTHER CRAVABLE CANDY TREATS
- Homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs
- Ultimate Candy Cookie Bars
- 3 Ingredient Reese’s Fudge
- Snickers Cheesecake Bars
- Candy Corn Bark
- Andes Mint Pie
*This post was originally posted on 01/02/2013.
- Preheat your oven and prepare the yellow cake mix according to the package directions for a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish.
- While the cake is baking, mix together caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk in a medium bowl.
- Take the cake out of the oven. While it's still warm poke holes all over the top with the back of a wooden spoon, skewer, or a fork.
- Pour the caramel mixture all over the warm cake and then let it sit on a wire rack until completely cooled. (The cake will soak up the caramel)
- Crush up all the Butterfingers and sprinkle 2 of the candy bars evenly over the cake.*Pro Tip: Put the candy bars in the freezer so they'll crush better. Then crush the Butterfingers in the wrappers, cut the tops off, and pour them out over the cake.
- Frost the cake with the Cool Whip so the entire top is covered.
- Sprinkled the top fo the cake with the remaining 2 crushed Butterfingers. Store in the fridge until ready to cut into 12 slices and serve.