This TURTLE POKE CAKE is a rich chocolate cake soaked in caramel sauce, and covered in chocolate frosting, pecans & more caramel!
Poke cakes have been around forever but they seem to be growing in popularity lately. If you have never had one they are delicious cakes with holes poked in them and some kind of jell-o, or pudding, or sauce, drizzled over them so that it seeps into the holes and fills the cake. What you get is a super moist, cake with some awesome flavor combination.
I’ve been seeing these cakes everywhere and the other night Melinda and I got to talking about what kind of poke cake we thought would be amazing. It probably comes as no surprise to you that we both came up with a Turtle Poke Cake. We are kind of addicted to chocolate, caramel, and pecans all mixed together in a dessert. We’ve already made Turtle Cheesecake Cups and some super easy Chocolate Caramel Pecan Bites but there is really no such thing as too many Turtle flavored desserts so say hello to Turtle Poke Cake!
Real Housemoms TV
This cake is so ridiculously easy to make you are going to wonder where it has been all of your life. You start with a boxed chocolate cake mix, or your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe. This is going to be a sheet cake not a layer cake so you will bake it in a rectangular pan. Once it has cooked and is cooled completely use the end of a wooden spoon, or whatever you have handy, to poke holes into the cake. Then pour your caramel sauce over the top of the cake. We used caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk but you can use any caramel sauce you like. Once you have covered the cake in caramel sauce, and spread it around so that it fills the holes, put the cake in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes just to firm up the caramel. After 30 minutes remove it from the refrigerator and spread chocolate frosting all over the top. We were keeping this super simple so we used a can of frosting but again, feel free to use your favorite homemade chocolate frosting recipe if you have one. Then sprinkle the top with chopped pecans, chopped Turtle candies, and drizzle with a little extra caramel sauce.
When you cut open the cake the caramel sauce that hasn’t been absorbed by the cake oozes out and every bite is filled with caramel, chocolate and pecans. It is rich, decadent, and completely irresistible. I’m telling you this is dangerous to make if you don’t have anyone to share it with because you are going to want to eat every bite!
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix + ingredients required on back of box
- 1 can Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can Chocolate Frosting
- 2 c Pecans chopped
- 1 c Turtle candies chopped
- Bake the chocolate cake according to package instructions in a 13" x 9" pan.
- Let the cake cool completely then poke holes across the entire top.
- Pour the caramel sweetened condensed milk over the cake, saving a small amount for later.
- Using a knife, spread the caramel over the cake making sure it gets in all of the holes.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
- Once the time has passed remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the chocolate frosting over the cake.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and chopped Turtle candies then drizzle with the remaining caramel sweetened condensed milk.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!