Need an idea on how to use up that cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving? Try out this CRAN-APPLE CHEDDAR MELT! Tart cranberry sauce, sweet crisp apples, melted cheddar cheese on whole wheat bread!
Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with cranberry sauce. Don’t get me wrong, I love it and Thanksgiving dinner wouldn’t be complete without it. But let’s be honest, who really eats a ton of it? Often times it goes into the trash while all the other leftovers are devoured. Not anymore! This cheddar melt puts that cranberry sauce to good use!
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons of cranberry sauce
- 1 apple sliced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Spread a tablespoon of cranberry sauce on each slice of bread. On two pieces of bread layer with cheese, apple slices and another slice of cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread, making two sandwiches.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Carefully place sandwiches down in skillet, gently press with the back of a spatula. Flip after a few minutes and cook for an additional 3 minutes, add more butter if needed. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
A little nutrition tip on whole wheat bread: Always look for the word whole in the first ingredient listed on the nutrition label. Bread that lists wheat flour as the first ingredient isn’t really whole wheat bread! It’s plain old white bread that is typically colored with molasses or food coloring to make it look like whole wheat bread. Also, look for bread that contains at least 2-3 grams of fiber for optimal glucose control.
Looking for a homemade cranberry sauce recipe?
Here’s one from Begin Within Nutrition!