This smoky Brisket Grilled Cheese elevates the classic warm, buttery grilled cheese to a new meaty, melty, mouthwatering level!
Is there anything better than a grilled cheese sandwich? It’s one of those foods perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even an after-school snack. Grilled, buttery bread. Gooey, cheesy goodness. Everybody loves them, and everyone will love this Brisket Grilled Cheese version!
The Best Sandwich Ever
This Brisket Grilled Cheese ups the grilled cheese sandwich game by adding tender, smoked beef brisket, sauteed onion, tangy bbq sauce, and putting it all on sourdough bread. OH MY. This will be the best sandwich you’ve ever put in your mouth!
Plus – and this is a HUGE plus – on those crazy, busy, “I’m losing my mind!” days, you can have these grilled cheese sandwiches on the dinner table in minutes!
These Go Great with Brisket Grilled Cheese:
- Creamy Tomato Bisque is the perfect classic companion to the Brisket Grilled Cheese.
- Strawberry Pineapple Salsa pairs great with this sandwich! This sweet summer salsa adds the perfect touch to any meal!
Meat: Brisket is the star of this sandwich show. Whether you use some of my leftover Beer Smoked Brisket or pick up a pound at your favorite barbecue joint, this juicy, flavorful beef takes this grilled cheese from basic to extra.
Cheese: Cheddar is my top choice for this cheese toastie. Of course, grilled cheese is yummy with everything from brie to Monterey Jack to Velveeta. But the tangy, earthy, sharpness of an aged cheddar holds its own in this sandwich that brings all the flavors.
Extras: Onion, butter, and BBQ sauce round out the savory, delicious ingredients in this brisket grilled cheese.
Bread: Sourdough just can’t be beaten. Yes, different types of bread will also work, but trust me – the airy center, crusty edges, and unique taste of sourdough slices push this brisket grilled cheese over the top!
How to Make Brisket Grilled Cheese
STEP ONE: Sauté the onion slices in half the butter until golden. While it’s cooking, butter your bread.
STEP TWO: Heat a skillet over medium-low. While it’s warming up, build your sandwiches. Layer the cheese, brisket, barbecue sauce, and onions. Finish with the butter side up.
STEP THREE: Place the sandwiches in the hot pan, cover, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip, cover, and cook another 2-3 minutes. Serve right away and enjoy the deliciousness!
Tips for Success
- Any brisket will work, but it helps to shred it or slice it into small, thin pieces.
- Don’t forget to cover the sandwich while cooking – this is more important than you might think! The heat circulates your sandwiches to grill and warm them all the way through and ensure your cheese melts evenly.
What’s the Best Cheese to Use in a Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
All of them! Mmmmm…cheese. I love all the different creamy flavors. But I chose cheddar for this sandwich because the onion, bbq sauce, and sourdough bread are strong flavors. A milder cheese would get lost. Cheddar, especially sharp cheddar, is a champ for this Brisket Grilled Cheese.
What is Brisket?
Brisket is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef, and it comes from the “breast” area of the cow. It’s heavily marbled, which makes it great for barbecue and this grilled cheese sandwich!
Other Twists on a Classic Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Cran-Apple Cheddar Melt
- Cheddar, Apple & Chicken Panini
- Keto Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
- Roast Beef Horseradish Cheddar Sliders
- Grilled Bacon and Blue Cheese Pizza
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup beef brisket shredded (see note)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter, and once melted add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly golden. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to medium-low heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with the remaining butter. Place two slices of bread butter side down on a cutting board. (You can assemble the grilled cheese in the skillet if you prefer. Place the bread butter side down once the skillet is hot.)
- Add 2 slices of cheese to each sandwich bottom. Then top each with half of the brisket, barbecue sauce, and onions. Place another slice of cheese on top and then add the second slice of bread on each sandwich, butter side up.
- Place the sandwiches in the hot pan and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve warm. You may want to cut them in half first.