Summer pizza nights just got a little more exciting with Grilled Bacon and Blue Cheese Pizza!
I have been making pizza, actually 2 pizzas, every Friday night for the last 13 years.
I haven’t done the math, but that’s a lot of pizza. It is one of the kids’ favorite nights, and whether I feel like it or not, you will find me in the kitchen making dough every Friday afternoon.
In the summer, when it’s too hot to heat the kitchen to 450 degrees F, we take our pizzas outside and grill them. If it were up to me, I’d grill them all the time, the crust is just to die for when done on the grill, but not all pizzas work well. Because the crust cook so quickly (only 2 minutes or so per side) a pizza with a lot of heavy toppings doesn’t work as well.
This bacon and blue cheese pizza is just made for grilling. With a very light layer of cream sauce, crumbled bacon, and blue cheese, it is pizza perfection.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup while milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices of bacon cooked to crisp and crumbled
- 4 ounces of blue cheese crumbled
- fresh herbs for topping
begin by making the dough:
- add the flour, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- add water and olive oil, and mix using the dough hook
- knead until you have a smooth ball of dough
- lightly oil a large bowl, add dough, toss to coat, cover and allow to rise until doubled - about an hour
- divide the dough into two smaller balls, and let rest 15 minutes ( I only used one ball for the grilled pizza and saved the other)
- roll out your pizza on a well floured surface - using a pizza peel makes transferring them to the grill much easier
cook the pizza:
- pre-heat your grill (you want a med-high heat- and oil the grates if needed)
- to make the sauce, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan
- once melted stir in the flour, cook for a few minutes until golden and all the butter has been incorporated
- gradually stir in the milk, and cook until your sauce has thickened
- remove from the heat, and stir in the Parmesan, ad salt and pepper to taste
- when your grill is ready, brush one side of the pizza dough with olive oil (I love to use Star Garlic Olive oil for added flavor)
- place oil side down on grill, cook 2 minutes
- brush the un-cooked dough with oil, and carefully flip the pizza over
- top the grilled side of your pizza with your white sauce, and add the crumbled bacon and blue cheese
- cook 2 - 3 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese begins to melt
- remove pizza from the grill and let rest a few minutes before cutting
You may also like:
5 minute pizza sauce
whole wheat pizza dough