Make your favorite ice cream topping at home with this easy, 3-ingredient Magic Shell recipe. Go from drizzled sauce to a rich snap of chocolate in minutes!
This post is sponsored by Mirum. All opinions are 100% my own.
Just because school is starting back up, doesn’t mean all the summer fun has to come to an end. With a little help from Alberton’s ice cream rewards, this homemade magic shell recipe, and some free printables, you can turn any night into an ice social night. It’s a quick and simple recipe that will transform any ice cream creation into one you would think came right out of your favorite scoop shop. With a recipe this good, you’ll be craving ice cream every night. Don’t just stop there, though, let the ice cream adventures continue and make this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake too!
HOMEMADE MAGIC SHELL
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
What is Magic Shell?
The idea for this recipes comes from the magic shell you can buy at the store. If you haven’t tried it before, it’s basically like a chocolate topping for your ice cream that hardens up a little once it’s been on the ice cream for a few seconds. It creates a chocolate shell around the ice cream, but it still says soft enough to break apart and enjoy. I love it.
How To Make Magic Shell Ice Cream Topper
Once you realize how easy it is to make your own magic shell at home, you’ll never waste money on the store-bought stuff again. It only takes a few extra minutes, and tastes just as good!
Add 2 cups of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add chocolate and coconut oil to a glass or metal mixing bowl.
Place the bowl over boil water (creating a double-boiler) and stir the chocolate as it starts to melt. Continue to heat and stir the chocolate until completely melted, about 5- to 8 minutes.
Once the chocolate and coconut oil have melted and are mixed together, carefully pour the warm magic shell topping into a cup or mason jar. Let cool to room temperature before using. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
For Serving: Spoon a couple of tablespoons of magic shell over your ice cream. The cold ice cream will cause the chocolate to harden into a shell.
How Does Magic Shell Work?
The way that this chocolate shell ice cream topping works is and gets hard but not too hard is actually simple to explain. The coconut oil keeps the chocolate soft without preventing it from hardening when cooled. So when the chocolate hits the frozen ice cream, it is still able to solidify into that visually appealing chocolate shell mold but isn’t so hard that you will chip a tooth is you try to bite into it.
Without the coconut oil, the melted chocolate would just turn into one giant chocolate chip on top of your ice cream, which wouldn’t necessarily be bad, just not so great for your teeth, so it’s best you just save this homemade magic shell recipe instead.
Ice Cream Social Ideas
While of course, the shell wouldn’t work without coconut oil, there’s another key component you need… The ice cream and other toppings. To make the perfect ice cream social bar, be sure you have everything you need for your ice cream creations.
- Printable invitations and topping cards (free download at the end of this post)
- Lots of ice cream!
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- Homemade Magic Shell
- Chocolate Chips
- Crumbled Cookies
- Ice Cream Cones
- Waffle Bowls
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Cute napkins
- Plastic spoons
Have Your Ice Cream and Eat It Too This Summer!
Now that you have one excuse to eat ice cream as much as you can, while the weather is still warm, let me give you even more of a reason. The Albertsons Ice Cream Rewards Program is up and running again, and that means you get rewarded when you purchase your Unilever ice cream from any participating Albertsons store. So why not participate, because who doesn’t love getting ice cream and free stuff?!
Before you go and gather up everything you need for your magic shell recipe, and ice cream social head over to IceCreamRewards.com and check out their sweepstakes where you can be entered to win a year’s supply of ice cream for free. One winner will be chosen weekly, at random, for 21 consecutive weeks and will be rewarded the year’s supply of ice cream in the form of a $250 gift card to your local participating Albertsons Companies Participating store.
To Get the Most Out of Your Ice Cream Rewards, All You Have to Remember is Three Simple Steps – Buy, Snap, and Choose!
- Buy: With the purchase of $20 of Unilever ice cream products (this can be through one or multiple transactions) you’ll be eligible for a $5 reward to choose from.
- Snap: Once you’ve made your purchase, just snap a photo of your receipt and upload it to IceCreamRewards.com and you’ll receive your reward.
- Choose: Lastly, you’ll choose one of the two rewards options, either a Fandango movie gift card or Virtual Visa card.
Are you chocolate obsessed? Then check out these chocolate recipes that are to die for!
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- No-Bake Chocolate Banana Pudding Pie
- More dessert recipes…
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chunks)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Add 2 cups of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to a glass or metal mixing bowl.
- Place the bowl over boil water (creating a double-boiler) and stir the chocolate as it starts to melt. Continue to heat and stir the chocolate until completely melted, about 5- to 8 minutes.
- Once the chocolate and coconut oil have melted and are mixed together, carefully pour the warm magic shell topping into a cup or mason jar. Let cool to room temperature before using. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- For Serving: Spoon a couple of tablespoons of magic shell over your ice cream. The cold ice cream will cause the chocolate to harden into a shell.
Click the images below to download your free customizable printables!
**You will need to download & install free Gooseberry Juice and Pacifico fonts to edit this file.**
Leave a Reply