Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is the easiest cake you probably aren’t making, but should be! The layers of ice cream sandwiches, Oreo cookies, and whipped cream is chocolaty, sweet, delicious, and only takes about 10 minutes to assemble!
Sometimes we all just need something easy! Am I right? I definitely needed easy for my husband’s birthday this year! December and January are generally very busy anyway, but this year has been exceptionally busy! I may or may not have momentarily forgotten about our 25th wedding anniversary <gasp>!! Let’s just say my wife of the year award is in jeopardy and leave it at that! I’m not a total failure though! I’m happy to report I didn’t forget his birthday which happens to be just 2 days after our anniversary. I did remember, which was a good start, I just didn’t plan anything until that morning. I needed a quick and easy birthday cake and fast! Ice Cream Sandwich Cake to the rescue!
Normally, I am all about fresh ingredients all the way, but when life gets the upper hand I’m not above using some cheats here and there to keep my sanity! Especially when they turn out this delicious!
Don LOVES ice cream sandwiches, y’all! I could have put a candle in a stack of ice cream sandwiches and he would have been happy as a clam at high tide! But seeing as I forgot our silver anniversary I thought I maybe should make a little more effort than that, so I took 3 ice cream sandwiches and fit them into a parchment lined loaf pan….
Smothered them with a 1/2 tub of whipped cream….
Topped the whipped cream with some crushed Oreo cookies….
Put 3 more ice cream sandwiches on top…
And covered the top with the rest of the whipped cream. Then I popped that in the freezer and we enjoyed a delicious ice cream birthday cake that evening. It doesn’t get much easier than that folks!
Don loved his birthday cake so much, I’ve made it several times since then at his request. I’m pretty sure he is going to want this cake every year for his birthday! That is fine with me, because this cake is quick, easy, delicious, and it doesn’t break the bank either! That’s a nice bonus!!
- 6 Ice Cream Sandwiches. I use Blue Bell as they are our fave for ice cream sandwiches
- 8 ounces 3 cups of cool whip (store bought or homemade )
- 4-5 crushed Oreo cookies
- Line an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing extra to hang over the sides of the pan.
- Unwrap 3 of the ice cream sandwiches and cut one in 1/2. Leave the other 2 whole.
- Arrange ice cream sandwiches in bottom of pan. These should cover the bottom of the pan like in the picture above.
- Top the ice cream sandwiches with 1/2 the tub of cool whip and spread to cover completely.
- Top the cool whip with the crushed Oreo cookies.
- Unwrap the other 3 ice cream sandwiches and cut one in 1/2.
- Layer the ice cream sandwiches in the same manner on top of the cool whip. Push down gently. This will help the cool whip squish down the sides.
- Top with the remaining cool whip to cover completely.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least an hour until firm.
- Remove from freezer and lift parchment to remove the cake from the pan.
- Using a knife, smooth out the cool whip and spread it cover any parts that might need a little extra. Serve and enjoy!
- You can garnish the cake any way you like or leave plain. Sometimes we like to add extra crushed Oreo cookies on top or drizzle on chocolate sauce and even caramel when we're feeling adventurous <smile>.