These Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are so full of flavor that no one will know that they’re skinny! You can even make a double batch and freeze one for later. It’s the perfect make-ahead family meal!
SKINNY CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Don’t be fooled by the word skinny. These enchiladas are FULL of flavor! My favorite enchiladas are creamy but anything with the work creamy tends to not be a friend to my waistline! I had a craving recently for some enchiladas so I went on the hunt for a new recipe to try. I found this one from SheKnows.com and knew I had to try it.
Like most cooks, I added some extras to make them mine but the base of the recipe was fantastic. I think green chilies are perfect in creamy enchiladas and so I had to have them in there. They aren’t spicy so it works for the entire family too.
Beyond just tasting amazing, enchiladas are a great make ahead meal and even pretty inexpensive to make too! I used some chicken I had in the freezer from my last double batch of Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. Next time I make this I’ll make a second batch in an aluminum baking dish so I can freeze it for later. It would take the same amount of time to make two as it does to make one, so why not? I love having dishes like this in my freezer for those nights when I just don’t have the time or energy to make dinner.
My husband was blown away by how delicious these enchiladas were and went back for more! Make a batch this week and then make a second one to freeze for later! 🙂
More Amazing Enchilada Recipes!
There is so much you can do with enchiladas! Traditional, creamy, Verde, or vegetarian they’re all great! Here are some of my favorite enchilada recipes for you to check out!
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Sliders
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 T butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 3 1/2 T flour
- 2 1/2 c chicken stock hot
- 6 oz. non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 c cooked chicken shredded I used a double batch of Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 7 oz Diced Green Chilies Fire Roasted mild
- 8 to 10 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 c low fat mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2.25 oz sliced black olives
- fresh tomato diced
- cilantro chopped
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray
- add olive oil and butter in a med sauce pan over med heat
- add onion and garlic and allow to cook for 3 min
- add in garlic powder, 1/4 t salt, 1/4 t cumin, and 1/4 t coriander
- stir in flour and cook for 1 min
- slowly whisk in the hot chicken stock
- continue to whisk until no lumps of flour remain
- bring to a boil then reduce heat
- allow to simmer for 10 min
- once it has thickened remove from heat and whisk in the Greek yogurt
- in a med bowl combine shredded chicken with 1/2 of yogurt mixture
- stir in 2 T of green chilies, 1/4 t cumin and 1/4 t coriander
- dip each tortilla into the remaining yogurt mixture and fill with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chicken mixture
- roll and lay seam down into the baking dish
- continue with remaining chicken and tortillas
- pour remaining sauce on top of tortilla rolls evenly
- sprinkle with cheese, then remaining green chilies and sliced olives
- place in the oven for 20 min until heated through
- garnish with dice tomatoes and chopped cilantro and serve!
You mentioned making extras and freezing. Would you need to defrost them before you put them in the oven? If not, how much would you need to adjust the baking time?
Dora Dembowski says
Do you think this recipe would work in a slow cooker?
Just printed it and will be making it soon. We love Enchiladas but they can be so fattening, this sounds like it may be “skinny” but full of flavor! Thanks for sharing it!
My bf really liked the recipe! I added a bit of red chili powder to spice it up a bit. Anyway I can get the calorie count?
Yvonne Dooms says
Made this for the family and made extra for my parents. A BIG hit all around! This was better than any I have ever had at any restaurant. It has been a few weeks since I made it and everyone keeps asking if I will make it again (and this time to make a lot more!!). Thanks for the recipe…A new family favorite!
Yay!!! I love hearing that Yvonne! Thanks for sharing. 🙂 I’d make a double batch and freeze one for another night. 🙂
Jackie carroll says
Just made the skinny creamy chicken enchiladas. They were absolutely delish!!! I left out the cilantro because I’m not a fan and I served them with shredded lettuce and put the tomato and olives with the lettuce along with a dollop of Greek yogurt. you would never know this was “skinny”.. I would love the nutritional info if it is available. Thanks so much and keep the skinny recipes coming. I’ve got twenty pounds to lose before my niece’s wedding in May. ; )
Thanks Jackie! Cilantro is one of those things you either love or hate, so I’m glad you made the adjustment. I’m working on quite a few pounds before my brother’s wedding in April so I think you’ll see more!
well this sounds totally DELISH…..will be adding it to the rotation next week…..thank you!
Thanks Tammy! Let me know what you think. 🙂