My family loves green chili chicken enchiladas. But all that frying, filling and rolling tortillas can take a lot of time. I wanted to be able to make something my family would love but that I didn’t have to spend all afternoon putting together. That is why I love this green chili chicken enchilada casserole. It tastes just like the enchiladas you love and remember, but takes less time to prep and get to the dinner table.
Served up with a little sour cream, chips and salsa, it’s sure to be a hit with the entire family. This meal has become one of our go to meals on a busy weeknight.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love our other easy casserole recipes!
- 2 cups cooked chicken - diced or shredded you can use canned chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or favorite cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can diced green chilis drained if needed
- 15 oz can green chili enchilada sauce
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl mix together cream of chicken soup, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup enchilada sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and diced green chilis and just mix until everything is combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of 8x8 baking pan and spread it out until most of the bottom is covered.
- Use 3 tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. I cut or tear them in half to fill gaps.
- Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Cover chicken mixture with 1/4 to 1/3 cup enchilada sauce.
- Use 3 more tortillas to cover the first layer.
- Add another 1/3 of the chicken mixture and cover the tortillas.
- Add 1/3 cup of sauce.
- Add shredded cheese to this layer.
- Using 3 more tortillas, cover the second layer.
- Add remaining chicken mixture and cover tortillas.
- Add another 1/4 to 1/3 cup enchilada sauce.
- Cover the 3rd layer with remaining tortillas.
- Using remaining sauce, pour over the entire top, trying to cover as much of the tortilla as possible.
- Spread remaining cheese over the top of the sauce.
- Bake for 25 -30 minutes until cheese is melted and it's nice and bubbly.
Some of our other favorite go to meals that are quick and easy are taco salad,
and this easy shepherd’s pie.