Cheesy, meaty, and filled with delicious peppers and onions, Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a modern take on the classic Philadelphia sandwich! It’s sure to be your family’s new favorite dinner!
I love a good casserole (so much so that I’ve even created a list of my top 25 dinner casseroles). They are perfect for a quick and easy crowd-pleasing dinner. They’re my go-to for throwing in the oven on busy nights at home. They’re perfect for left-overs.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole has all the important elements of a great casserole: meat, cheese, potatoes, and veggies. If you can’t have a real, authentic Philly Cheesesteak, make this casserole today – it’s the next best thing!
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Innnnnn West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground was where I spent most of my days… Anyone else out there a big Fresh Prince fan? Whenever I even hear the word “Philadelphia,” I break out in song. Definitely an embarrassing event for my kids. They’ve threatened to disown me on more than one occasion…but that’s beside the point.
Anyway, out in Portland, we’re what seems likes worlds away from Philly. But, that doesn’t stop me from bringing my love of Philly Cheesesteaks to the pacific northwest! Us west coasters deserve some cheesy meaty deliciousness too.
You’re probably wondering how I came to love Philly Cheesesteaks so much. (And Philadelphia itself, so much history and beauty wrapped up into one great city.) Well, one of my best friends from college grew up outside of Philadelphia. I’ve been to visit her quite a few times and every trip always includes a stop for some yummy cheesesteaks.
Philly has an abundance of cheesesteak spots, but the two major competitors are Pat’s and Geno’s. If you’ve been to both, which one wins in your book??
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
- A traditional Philly Cheesesteak is a delicious sandwich made with juicy shaved beef and melted cheese all piled on a crunchy roll. Philly Cheesesteaks are perfect just like that, but you can also add on some yummy toppings. My personal favorites are some grilled peppers, caramelized onions, and sautéed mushrooms.
Anyway, homemade Philly Cheesesteaks aren’t the EASIEST things to make. But, you know what IS super easy? A casserole.
You know here at Real Housemoms we love a good casserole. And that is exactly what we have to share with you today!
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole combines the delicious taste of the classic sandwich and wraps it all up in a delicious casserole.
Ingredients for Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Ground beef
- Frozen cubed hash browns
- Green bell pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
You’ll notice that there’s not actually any “steak” in this casserole recipe. Instead, I use ground beef. I do this for a few different reasons.
The first reason is that I want it to be a simple recipe. Ground beef is a refrigerator staple in our house. I almost always have some lying around and I love finding new ways to use it!
The second reason I use ground beef instead of shaved steak is that it holds up perfectly in a casserole.
I love an easy weeknight meal for when my family is on the go – Philly Cheesesteak casserole is just that. Ground beef gives the same flavor of shaved steak without all the work that comes with preparing the steak!
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- First things first, let’s get that oven hot! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by cooking your hamburger meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef, be sure to break it up as it cooks, for about 10 minutes. Drain any excess grease and set it aside. You’ll come back to it in just a couple of minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the chopped onion, green pepper, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, sour cream, and milk.
- Next, add the cooked ground beef to the bowl with all the veggies. Stir everything up until it’s combined really well.
- After that, grab a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish and add 2 cups of frozen hash browns to the bottom fo the pan. Spread out the potatoes into an even layer.
- Then, place 6 slices of each cheese on top of potatoes. You want the entire layer of potatoes covered up.
- Continue to build the casserole by adding the ground beef mixture on top of the cheese, and spreading it out edge to edge.
- For your last and final layer, put 6 more slices of each cheese over the beef!! (We all know the more cheese, the better!)
- Make sure to cover the dish with foil so the cheese does not burn!
- Place your Philly Cheesesteak Casserole in your preheated and bake it for 40 minutes. Then, take the foil off and bake for another 10 minutes to get the cheese bubbling and golden.
- Carefully remove the casserole from your oven and cut it into 8 slices. Serve this deliciousness nice and warm!
By now you’ve realized that I really love Philly Cheesesteaks and I really love casseroles. One of the main reasons I love casseroles is that they’re super easy to put together ahead of time.
To pre-make this casserole recipe, get all the prep work done for steps 1 through 8. Then cover with foil and pop it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it!
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole combines all my favorite cheesesteak toppings and replaces the crunchy roll with frozen hash browns! It’s the perfect way to bring cheesesteaks to your family or to a big crowd!
What cheese is on a Philly Cheesesteak?
If you’ve found yourself in Philadelphia you’ll have a couple of different choices when ordering your sandwich.
#1 – Do you want it with toppings? I’m talking mushrooms, onions, and peppers. YUM!
#2 – What type of gooey, melty cheese you want on top?
The most common types of cheese used for Philly Cheesesteaks are Provolone, American, Mozzarella, and Cheese Whiz. When ordering a true, authentic cheesesteak, always choose Cheeze Whiz! All of those cheeses are mild and melt well making them excellent choices for finishing off a delicious cheesesteak.
For our Philly Cheese Steak Casserole, we’ve chosen a combination of sliced provolone and mozzarella making for a cheesy, delicious meal!
Need some more easy dinner inspiration? Check out these other Real Housemoms favorites!
- Breaded Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Taco Chili
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Zucchini Lasagna
- more DINNER recipes…
Tools used to make this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole recipe
Mixing Bowls: every kitchen needs a great set of nesting mixing bowls! This is my go-to set!
Non-Stick Skillet: There is nothing worse than having to scrub and scrape dishes after eating a delicious meal. With this pan, you’ll be able to brown your meat and have an easy clean up afterward!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 ½ cups frozen cubed hash browns (28 ounces)
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef to pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until no longer pink. Break up the beef at it cooks. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, sour cream, and milk. Set aside.
- Add ground beef to vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the hash browns to a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish, and spread out into an even layer.
- Place 6 slices of provolone and 6 slices of mozzarella on top of the potatoes to cover the layer.
- Add ground beef mixture over the cheese and spread into an even layer. Top the casserole with 6 slices of each cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil so the cheese doesn't burn.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Carefully remove the foil from the pan and bake for another 10 minutes to get the cheese golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 8 portions. Serve warm.