I LOVE Mexican food. A LOT. I’m talkin’ about a, could eat it everyday, wash it down with a margarita, wearin’ a great big, giant sombrero, kinda love. My kids like it too and that’s saying something because my oldest monkey is a picky eater. He’s been that way since we first introduced baby food and he would only eat it if it was orange. You did NOT try to sneak in green food unless you had a desire to fight an infant and lose.
I make these black beans as an alternative to refried beans. I think they’re healthier and because I make them using canned beans they aren’t that much more work than a can of refried beans. They are a million bajillion times better tasting, as my littlest monkey says. 🙂 There is jalapeno in this recipe but if you seed it before adding it there is zero spice. I’ve never had a complaint from the little guys. I usually make these to go along with my Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. Give them a try and let us know what you think. I LOVE hearing from you guys just about as much as I love my Mexican food. 🙂
- heat oil in a pot
- add onion and jalapeno and saute for 2-3 min.
- add chopped garlic and allow to cook for 30 sec. to 1 min
- add beans, chicken stock, onion powder, salt and pepper
- bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer
- periodically mash with a potato smasher
- cook until liquid is reduced, and beans are thickened but not dry