Black Bean Soup is an easy, heart-healthy meal. Made with lean ground turkey, it’s a perfectly delicious and hearty soup recipe for a cold day!
Black Bean Soup has an amazing combination of flavors, is super filling, and is easy to make. The best part? You can top this black bean soup with whatever toppings you like. The combinations are endless! Looking for more easy weeknight dinners? Check out my Chicken Noodle Soup.
BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your MAIN DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This year we are making some attempts to eat healthier and have less red meat. I am planning a lot of yummy meals for my family and have been trying lots of new recipes! When I first tried this black bean soup recipe, I couldn’t believe how hearty and filling it was and I didn’t even miss the red meat! The ground turkey pairs so well with the flavors of the black beans and jalapeños. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this recipe, and my family absolutely loved this soup!
Ingredients Needed for Black Bean Soup
- Plain black beans (reduced sodium)
- Mild jalapeno black beans with lime juice
- Chicken broth
- Ground turkey
- Vegetables, cheese, etc. for topping
This is a short cut black bean soup recipe and as such, it doesn’t use dry beans. Instead, I’m using canned beans and giving them a flavor boost.
You can use whatever type of salsa you like in order to control the level of spice in this soup recipe. You can also add some chili powder to spice things up if you want a bigger kick.
Choose a ground turkey that has a high percentage of lean meat and a low percentage of fat to keep this black bean soup heart-healthy.
How to Make Black Bean Soup from Scratch
- The first step to making this soup from scratch is to brown the ground turkey on the stove. When it’s finished cooking, drain the excess fat from the turkey. Set this aside for later.
- While the turkey is cooking, start preparing all of your toppings and set them aside until you’re ready to use them. I usually keep them in the fridge while the soup cooks.
- Add both cans of black beans with lime juice and 1 can of the regular black beans to your blender along with the chicken broth. Turn your blender to puree and blend until the beans have a creamy soup consistency. (If you don’t have a blender, add the beans and broth to your cooking pot and puree with an immersion blender instead.)
- Grab a large pot and place it on the stove over medium to medium-high heat. Pour the blended black beans into the pot.
- Then, add the other can of black beans along with the corn, salsa, and ground turkey to the pot with the blended beans. Stir everything together.
- Heat the soup thoroughly, being sure to stir it occasionally, for about 10 minutes. You want to soup bubbling (AKA simmering); don’t bring it to a boil. When the soup is just about done, do a taste test and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Ladle your soup into bowls. Grab your favorite topping and do up your soup! I’m a big fan of black olives, tomatoes, avocado, green onions, cheese, and sour cream on my soup. Then, grab a spoon and dig in!
Is Black Bean Soup healthy?
This black bean soup is packed full of fiber and protein thanks to the black beans and lean ground turkey. Since this heart-healthy soup is made from scratch using low-sodium beans, you’re avoiding unnecessary fillers and preservatives that are often found in pre-packaged soup recipes.
What to Serve with Black Bean Soup
There are so many flavorful ways to top this easy black bean soup recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Sliced avocado
- Grated cheese (try Colby or Monterey Jack)
- Diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Sour cream (choose a light sour cream to keep it low calorie)
- Diced onion
You could really choose any combination of these toppings. To elevate the Latin American flavors in this soup, consider serving it with a couple of lime wedges for squeezing over top.
More tasty soup recipes to warm you up!
- Slow Cooker Black Bean & Chorizo Soup
- Crock Pot Black Bean & Chicken Soup
- Crock Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Weight Watchers Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Weight Watchers Chili
- More MAIN DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Black Bean Soup recipe
Blender: This is the blender that I use in my kitchen every single week. From chopping to shredding to pureeing, this blender does it all.
Large Pot: This stainless steel pot is a great heat conductor, which makes it ideal for thoroughly heating soups and stews on the stovetop.
*This post originally posted on 01/09/2013.
- Avocado diced
- Tomatoes diced
- Black olives sliced
- Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Sour Cream
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain any fat, and set aside
- While the ground turkey cooks, prep your toppings. Set aside. (I keep them in the fridge.)
- Blend 2 cans of jalapeno black beans with lime juice and 1 can of regular black beans with 2 cups of chicken broth in the blender. (I did two batches because it didn't all fit in my blender.) Pour the blended beans into a large pot.
- Add 1 can of regular black beans (drained), corn, cooked turkey, and salsa to the pot. Place pot on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.
- Cook soup for about 10 minutes, or until beginning to bubble (not boiling). Taste test and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. (This would be the time to add chili powder if you want to spice things up even more.)
- Ladle soup into bowls and add your favorite toppings, if desired. Serve warm.