Shredded chicken, black beans, salsa verde & more come together in this simple & easy crockpot BLACK BEAN & CHICKEN SOUP. Perfect for chilly winter days!
Do you love a good soup on a chilly winter day? I sure do. Even better if I can make it in the crockpot & just let it go all day while I’m doing things like shoveling snow. We come inside, we’re freezing & we have a delicious hot dinner waiting for us & it’s so perfect. Honestly, I’m just so grateful that I took the 10 minutes to throw it all in there before heading out. The last thing I feel like doing after spending the day shoveling snow is come inside & cook something. After all that work I just want to curl up by the fire & get cozy. This soup is perfect for that.
I just love making soups because I can make them as light or as hearty as my mood dictates. Sometimes I follow a recipe I created in the past. Other times I wing it. For this one I just started with my chicken & then pulled things from the pantry & started adding. I actually do this a lot based on what I have on hand at the time & the majority of the time it comes together quite nicely as it did with this soup.
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large (23oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small (7 oz) can salsa verde
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 2 cans (12 oz) black beans
- 1 small (5 oz) can diced black olives
- 2 cups water
- Cheese, Chives, and/or Sour Cream, for garnish
- Trim chicken & cut each piece into 3-4 large chunks & place in the bottom of the crockpot
- Add in all other ingredients except the garnish- cover & cook on high 4-6 hours or on low 7-8 hours stirring occasionally
- About 1 hour before serving remove chicken with a slotted spoon & place in a large bowl
- Use 2 forks to pull pieces apart & shred
- Return the chicken to the crockpot & stir
- Cook an additional hour
- When serving top with cheese, chives & sour cream to taste
If you love a hearty, filling soup for the family that’s easy to make- this one is for you!
Here are a couple more of our favorite soup recipes?