This Simple Almond Cake is SO simple to make but has the flavor of a complex French pastry. This cake is perfect for a special occasion but simple enough for every day!
It’s the last day of #BrunchWeek! Have you planned your Mother’s Day menu yet? Well we still have a lot of great recipes for you to drool over today, so don’t miss them. Remember to head on over and enter the big #BrunchWeek giveaway today before it’s too late. We have pretty amazing prizes for some lucky readers. Our fantastic sponsors were gracious enough to donate so many prize packs. Check them out and enter HERE. I want to thank our out of this world hosts for #BrunchWeek, by Terri of Love and Confections and Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen! They really did make it so easy for all of the bloggers to participate and bring you delicious treats.
I have to say that I saved the best for last this year for #BrunchWeek. I’ve been dreaming about this Simple Almond Cake since February. Our local farmer’s market started back up then and we went out for a family outing. It was a rainy day, imagine that in Portland, OR, and pretty chilly. There is a baker that has a stall at the market and for the life of me I don’t know the name of the bakery, but I LOVE stopping by for treats while we shop for fruits and veggies. Well, this day back in February he had an almond cake he talked me into a slice. It was Heaven! It has so much flavor but tastes delicate at the same time. It doesn’t need anything but it goes well with berries, like these Mixed Berry Preserves from Bonne Maman. When I received this jar I was so excited. I knew it would go perfectly with the almond cake I had back at the farmer’s market. So I set out to make a cake of my own.
A lot of recipes call for almond paste. I wanted to make a cake that was easy and that could be made with the pantry staples in most kitchens. I did use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour but all-purpose flour can be substituted in the recipe easily, using the same amount. I cut a piece of the Simple Almond Cake for these pictures and only planned on having a couple of bites but I never put the fork down! I polished off that piece and didn’t look back. This cake really did come together so easily that it can be made by the novice baker in your house for Mother’s Day, or you could even get the kids involved. I am bringing it over to a friend’s house tomorrow for a party because I can’t be trusted with the entire cake in my house!
I hope that you have a fantastic Mother’s Day filled with love, kisses and hugs from your loves ones. Oh and this Simple Almond Cake
- place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- grease a cake pan with cooking spray and place a parchment paper circle on the bottom
- place the almonds, sugar, salt, almond extract and vanilla extract into a food processor and process until almonds are finely ground
- scrape down the sides and add in the butter and 3 eggs and process until well combined
- scrape down the sides again and add in the flour and baking powder
- process until just combined
- pour into the cake pan and spread out evenly
- bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- allow to cool in the pan on a cooling rack
- run a very thin knife around the edges of the cake
- place the cake plate on top of the cake pan and then flip them both over
- remove the cake pan
- once completely cooled, dust with confectioners sugar on top
- place fresh berries in the center in a pile
- when plating the sliced cake, add a dollop of Bonne Maman Mixed Berries preserves to the plate and place the tip of the cake on top
- Crab Cake Eggs Benedict from Love and Confections
- Eggs Benedict from Big Bear’s Wife
- Orzo Veggie Salad from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Fennel-Kissed Lemon Tart with Salted Hazelnut Crust from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!