I’m dreaming of summer! We had a sunny day today! When I picked up my littlest guy from school, he touched the window on the car door and asked why it was warm. Pour kid can’t remember warm weather! He was born and spent the first 5 years of his life in the Arizona desert, and this winter was the first winter he’s had with ongoing cold temps. He’s spent time in them for a week here or there but never LIVED in them.
It’s so funny to think about what your kids may or may not be used to. Things you took for granted growing up. For instance, grass. The feel of grass on your feet, to be more specific. In Arizona most of the landscaping is done with rocks. There isn’t a whole lot of grass to be found for 2 reasons; one, it would take a lot of water to keep alive and 2, if you did manage to keep it alive in the dead of summer you wouldn’t want to get out there and mow it when it’s 120 degrees. I did have a handful of neighbors that had little patches of grass and when the sun went down you’d hear them out there mowing in the dark trying to stay cool. I should say “cool” because when the sun went down it would cool down to 100. Yikes!
Anyway….when my son was about one we were visiting my parents out in California and we put him barefoot in the grass in the backyard. He didn’t know what to do. He froze! He wouldn’t move around until we took him out of it and set him on the pavement. It was so funny and something I hadn’t thought about!
This summer I have cool mornings and warm afternoons to look forward to but I also have berries to dream of. Here in Oregon they grow wild. From what I’ve been told, there are u-pick farms everywhere. So with all my dreaming of summer I’ve started to dream of blueberries. They’re a great snack on their own but I think they’re one of my favorite fruits to bake with! They have the perfect amount of sweetness and they’re like little pockets of warm comfort when you get a bit straight out of the oven. I made this lemon blueberry pound cake with frozen blueberries but as soon as summer hits, I’ll be making it again with my fresh berries.
- 1 c butter softened
- 2 c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- grease a bundt pan
- cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract
- in a medium mixing bowl whisk 2 cups of flour, salt and baking powder
- add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture
- in a small bowl add the blueberries, lemon zest and flour
- mix in the floured blueberries and lemon zest
- pour into the greased cake pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 min or until a took pick inserted into the cake comes out clean
- allow to cool on a wire rack
- whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth
- pour over the top of the cake and allow it to dip down the sides.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!