Summer shortcakes just got a whole lot easier to make! These Air Fryer Blueberry Shortcakes are the ultimate fresh and fruity summer dessert!
All of my dessert cravings in the warm summer months revolve around fresh fruits and berries. I just love the light sweetness of summer fruits and there are so many amazing recipes out there to incorporate them. This delicious Air Fryer Blueberry Shortcakes recipe is so quick to make and easy to pair with any of your summer dinner ideas.
AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY SHORTCAKES
Love it? Pin it to your DESSERT board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Just look at this picture-perfect dessert! I mean honestly, who could resist these freshly fried shortcake biscuits topped with fresh blueberry pie filling and homemade whipped cream?
I can tell you from experience that no one in my family has ever left one of these air fryer shortcakes on the kitchen counter for long, so make sure to hide one or two for yourself before it’s too late!
AIR FRYER SHORTCAKE INGREDIENTS
Biscuits- For the shortcake biscuits I use an 8 count can of jumbo buttermilk biscuits. You will likely find Pillsbury brand Grands! biscuits in Flaky or Homestyle varieties. Either type will work.
Blueberries- For this recipe, you will use both frozen and fresh blueberries to create the filling, but realistically you could cut out the fresh berries if needed. You could also shortcut that entire portion of the recipe and use pre-made blueberry pie filling as a quick and easy alternative to homemade.
For those of you who are dreaming of an air fryer strawberry shortcake, don’t worry! Strawberries are an easy and delicious substitute for blueberries in this recipe.
Whipped Cream- Homemade whipped cream is super easy to make and I personally prefer it. If you don’t own a stand mixer, however, or simply don’t want to dig it out of your cupboards, store-bought whipped cream will also suffice.
HOW TO MAKE SHORTCAKES IN AN AIR FRYER
- First, pop open the can of biscuits and separate them.
- Melt the unsalted butter in a small shallow bowl. Pour the granulated sugar into a separate bowl.
- Now dip each biscuit into the melted butter and then into the sugar bowl. Make sure you toss the biscuit enough to coat all the sides.
- Place the biscuits into the air fryer basket, 4 at a time, and fry them at 360 degrees F for 6 minutes. If you have a smaller air fryer, you may need to adjust capacity. For reference, the air fryer I used is 5.8 quarts.
- After they are finished cooking and golden brown, remove the first batch from the air fryer and air fry the remaining biscuits.
- In a small saucepan, add the frozen blueberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice and stir them together while bringing the contents to a boil.
- On the side, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- As the saucepan begins to boil, add the cornstarch mixture to the blueberries and stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until the filling thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the fresh blueberries. This will add more texture and dynamic to the filling but can be omitted if desired.
- In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until soft peaks form. You can use a large bowl and a hand mixer instead to make the whipped cream if needed. This is so much better than store-bought Cool Whip!
To serve Air Fryer Blueberry Shortcakes, simply place an open-faced biscuit on a plate or in a bowl. Top the bottom half with the blueberry filling and whipped cream. Finish by placing the top half on top, serve and enjoy!
TRY THESE OTHER SUMMER DESSERTS
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Lemon Blueberry Icebox Cake
- Peach Cobbler Recipe
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake
- More DESSERT Recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS AIR FRYER SHORTCAKE RECIPE
Air Fryer: Naturally, you can’t make a homemade shortcake in an air fryer without an air fryer! This one perfectly fits 4 jumbo buttermilk biscuits and cooks them to perfection!
Stand Mixer: If you’re like me and insist on making your own whipped cream, this stand mixer is the perfect kitchen companion for you!
- 8 count refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dip each biscuit into the melted butter then into the bowl of sugar, tossing to coat all sides.
- Place the biscuits in the air fryer, 4 at a time, and air fry at 360 degrees F for 6 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and set aside. Fry the remaining biscuits.
- Add the frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup of water, sugar, and lemon juice to a small saucepan and stir, bringing blueberries to a boil.
- Once blueberries begin to boil, whisk together the cornstarch and 2 TBSP water in a small bowl. Then add to the blueberries and stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh blueberries.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Cut or pull apart biscuits so you have at op and bottom. Place the bottom biscuits on a plate or a bowl and top with blueberries and whipped cream. Then place the biscut top over the filling.