This layered Southwestern Mason Jar Salad with chicken, fresh veggies, and Ranch dressing is a delicious make-ahead lunch!
Who’s feeling the heat of summer? We are in thick of it here and I’m looking for all the ways to stay cool! Afternoons at the pool. Lots of AC. Wearing dresses and flip-flops as much as possible. Not turning on my oven. Yup, we’re to the time of year when I just want to assemble our meals and call it a day. Less actual “cooking” and more enjoying life while yummy, healthy, delicious foods magically await me. OK, not completely magical. But you can definitely set yourself up for success with this make-ahead southwestern mason jar salad.
SOUTHWESTERN MASON JAR SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Have you done the mason jar salad thing yet? If yes, you know the glory in it. You know the delight in opening the fridge and seeing those beauties staring back at you. And if not, well, now is the time! These take just minutes to prep, keep for days in the fridge and are loaded with yummy southwestern flavor! (They’ll make you the envy of the office for sure! They’re also great for picnics and days at the pool. ?)
The recipe below is what you see here, but if you know me, you know I love me some toppings!
Topping ideas for your southwestern mason jar salad:
- Sliced or diced avocado, or guacamole
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Pickled jalapeño slices
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- A few dollops of salsa (or salsa mixed with Ranch)
- Anything else you think sounds good!
Also, I used Ranch here and love how that creaminess coats the entire salad but I think it would also be fantastic with my creamy cilantro lime dressing (that takes just minutes to make!)
You can pair this with some tortilla chips to bulk up the meal a bit if you prefer. (That’s how my husband likes it!)
I hope you give this southwestern mason jar salad a try and find the fun in jazzing up your lunch a bit – and in staying cool!
P.S. I’ve also got an easy, super flavor Asian chicken mason jar salad that you should check out!
Want more Southwestern recipes?
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Southwestern Kale Salad
- Southwest Quinoa Soup
- Southwestern Breakfast Pizza
- Southwest Turkey Meatloaf
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Southwestern Mason Jar Salad recipe
Cutting Board: A good-sized cutting board is a must for home cooks. This board is thick & sturdy and makes recipe prep a breeze.
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Mason Jars: Mason jars are great for storing everything from salad dressing and coffee creamers to overnight oats and all kinds of delicious make ahead dishes!
- ⅓ cup prepared Ranch dressing
- 1 cup chopped cooked rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup bell pepper strips any color, cut in thin strips or chopped
- ½ cup corn fresh or frozen, thawed
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Romaine lettuce
- Additional toppings: Shredded cheese sliced avocado, pickled jalapeños
- Divide ingredients, in the order listed, between the two mason jars. Add in as much romaine lettuce as you can to the top of the jar. (See notes below.)
- Cover and refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
- When ready to eat, empty the salad out of the mason jar onto your plate or bowl, add any extra desired toppings and enjoy!