These Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos are full of bold flavors for an epic breakfast recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve always been a huge Mexican food fan. From tacos to enchiladas, salsa, guacamole, and everything in between, I can’t get enough of it. I’m also a HUGE fan of breakfast foods! So I thought, why not combine those two things and make the best taco recipe ever – Chorizozon and Potato Breakfast Tacos!
CHORIZO AND POTATO BREAKFAST TACOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Ironically, even though I love breakfast foods, I’m not usually hungry for a big breakfast in the morning. Weird right? Probably because I’m the one who cooks in my house, and well, let’s just say, I’m NOT a morning person lol. I need a good hour or so before I’m fully functional, which is no time to be near a stove top burner!
So while you can absolutely make these for breakfast, or brunch, I love to make them for dinner! Breakfast for dinner is a popular dinner choice in my house, as well all love the amazing comfort food!
These breakfast tacos do have a bit of a kick, from the Mexican chorizo and the serrano peppers in the potatoes, but it can easily be modified to be less spicy if you prefer. Instead of using the serrano pepper, use a jalapeno (with the seeds taken out) or use a green bell pepper. The chorizo is a mild heat, but if you really can’t take it (or want the kids to eat it), I think some ground pork or turkey would work well.
One thing I really love about these breakfast tacos is that most of the components can be made ahead of time, then reheated to serve. The chorizo can be browned and refrigerated… as can the potatoes and onion. I wouldn’t make the eggs ahead of time, as I think they’d be a bit rubbery, but making the eggs doesn’t take a whole lot of time, so you’re still getting an easy meal!
The next time you’re craving something different for breakfast, brunch or dinner, give these chorizo and potato breakfast tacos a try!! They’re great with my restaurant style salsa drizzled over the top (takes just 5 minutes to make!).
Want more taco recipes?
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Fish Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- EASY Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Tacos
- More breakfast recipes…
Tools used to make this Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos recipe
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Cutting Board: A good-sized cutting board is a must for home cooks. This board is thick & sturdy and makes recipe prep a breeze.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb ground Mexican chorizo
- 20 ounce Bag of Simply Potatoes and Onion can substitute with 2 russet potatoes, cubed, and 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 serrano pepper sliced thinly
- 2 green onions sliced thinly
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 6 Soft taco size flour or corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Salsa for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Shredded cheese for garnish (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet, over MED-HIGH heat. Add chorizo and brown, breaking into crumbles, until fully cooked and crispy. Transfer to a plate, reserving the grease in the skillet.
- Add potatoes and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, and saute in the chorizo grease (adding a bit of vegetable oil if necessary), until potatoes are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add Serrano pepper and sliced green onions and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add potato mixture to the cooked chorizo on the plate. Wipe out skillet to remove browned bits of food.
- Add butter and heat over LOW heat. Add beaten eggs to skillet and scramble, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, set aside.
- Microwave or char tortillas over an open burner flame, until pliable and warm.
- Top tortilla with potato and chorizo mixture, eggs, and garnish as desired.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!