Call it Eggs in a Basket or Egg in a Hole. It doesn’t matter what you call this simple breakfast, make it and you’ll understand why it’s so loved!
Crispy bread and runny egg for Breakfast. Can anything be better than this to start your day? Besides my favorite Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. Eggs in a basket are one of those easy, no fuss breakfast that you can have every single day, yet you won’t get bored of it. Bread with a golden crust, gooey center and a piece of crusty bread to scoop the egg out.
EGGS IN A BASKET
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I can not stress enough, how important it is to have your breakfast every morning. For me, breakfast is like fuel to start my day. I can’t even imagine a single day without breakfast. Saying that I don’t like to spend hours preparing my brekkie. Most of the time I prefer making something ahead like this Breakfast Casserole, easy Blueberry Banana Muffins, or these Granola Breakfast Cookies that I can grab and leave for work.
On busy weekdays the breakfast needs to be easy, quick and this Egg in a Basket recipe fits the bill. All you need is good quality bread and eggs. A really healthy and filling breakfast, it takes only 5 minutes to make.
HOW TO MAKE EGGS IN A BASKET
- Start with a loaf of good quality sandwich bread. The bread slices should be firm and thick. It should be big enough to hold an egg in the middle.
- Use fresh eggs, preferably Organic eggs.
- Really sharp edge cookie cutter, to get clean cut out, although the lid to a mason jar has worked for me as well.
- Good quality butter. It should be at room temperature so that it is easily spreadable.
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Make sure the griddle is hot in order to get the bread nice and crispy.
HOW TO SERVE EGGS IN A BASKET?
Freshly cracked black pepper is enough, but you can also drizzle some sriracha on top while serving.
Scooping out the runny egg from the middle using the crispy cutout bread is one of those simple pleasure of life. I’ve also been known to turn the cutouts into mini cinnamon-sugar toasts. YUM! I prefer crispy bacon to go along with my meal. You can also serve a refreshing green salad or sliced avocados.
Check out some equally yummy breakfast ideas
- Slow Cooker Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Chocolate PB Smoothie Bowl
- Baked Challah French Toast
- Lemon Blueberry Skillet Pancake
- Ham and Cheese Egg Pastry Tart
- More Breakfast recipes…
Tools used to make Eggs in a Basket
Cookie Cutter: Great set for multiple uses!
Griddle: This cast iron skillet is one of my most treasured pieces of cookware. I’ve had mine for years and make everything from breakfast to dinner and dessert in it!
- 2 Slices Bread
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Butter at room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- Using a sharp round, Cookie Cutter cut out the center of the bread. Butter each side including the cutouts.
- Heat a heavy griddle on medium-high heat.
- Place the buttered bread including the cutout on the hot griddle. Cook for 1-2 minutes until it is light golden brown and is crispy.
- Flip the bread slice and the cutout.
- Break one egg slowly on the hole. Sprinkle little salt and pepper. Cover and cook for a minute on medium heat serve immediately.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!