These are the perfect Chocolate Chip Scones! Tender, buttery, studded with chocolate chips and flavored with vanilla for a coffeehouse dream!
These heavenly Chocolate Chip Scones are coming to lure you out of bed. If the idea of dipping a buttery, chocolate-studded scone into your morning coffee doesn’t have you leaping from bed, then I don’t know what will. They’re like a breakfast dessert after you have a plate of Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. And who doesn’t love a little dessert in the morning?!
CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your NAME pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
If you *think* you don’t like scones I will tell you that you are wrong. There are so many dry, flavorless scones out in the world that are tricking people into thinking that scones are “blah.” But the truth is, if you have a good scone, like a delicious scone, you will see how incredibly delicious they can be. Scones should be flaky and buttery, with a soft and tender interior, and a slightly crunchy exterior.
My family is always happy to start our day with something sweet and comforting. It doesn’t matter if it’s French Toast Casserole, our favorite Banana Bread, or this tender Chocolate Chip Scones recipe, there are always smiles around our table.
Scones generally filled with a variety of flavors: chocolate, vanilla, berries, apples, citrus, spices, nuts, and more. The flavorings will enhance the basic scone and take it from good to amazing. Today we’re making Chocolate Chip Scones! This recipe is easier than you may think. You don’t even need any special equipment.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Scones
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add cubed cold butter and work it into the flour with your fingers (rub it in the flour until you have pebble-sized pieces of butter throughout).
- Add the chocolate chips, then stir in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 3/4-inch thick circle or rectangle. Cut into desired shapes and bake.
Sugar topping: I like to sprinkle the top of the scones with coarse or sparkling sugar right before baking. Adding a crunch to the scones and makes them delicious. If you’re planning to add a glaze (more on that below), then you can skip the sugar topping or combine both.
Glaze topping: I love the flavor of vanilla and chocolate together, so this vanilla glaze is the perfect topping for our scones. Simply whisk powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. You can make the glaze as thick or thin as you’d like by adjusting the wet and dry ingredients. You can drizzle the glaze over the scones, or you can double the glaze recipe and cover/pour the glaze over the scones.
Reheating scones: Homemade scones are best the day they are made, and they are their absolute best served warm, straight from the oven. If you are planning on storing the leftovers, I recommend that you skip glazing the scones that will be stored. Package them tightly covered and reheat them on a baking sheet in the oven or toaster oven. Glaze at that point, if you wish.
Love living the brunch life? Try these other recipes!
- Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Bloody Mary
- Spanish Tortilla
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Monkey Bread
- More breakfast recipes…
Tools used to make this Chocolate Chip Scones recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Mixing Bowls: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
Pastry Brush: I keep a few of these brushes on hand. They’re great for glazing, layering on butter and oils, and basting while cooking!
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into 20 pieces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coarse/sparkling sugar
Vanilla Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar more, if needed
- 1 tablespoon cream or half and half more, if needed
- Splash of vanilla extract or ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 425°F, with a rack in the upper-middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk buttermilk and egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Scatter butter pieces over the flour. Using your fingertips (or a pastry cutter), work the butter into the flour by rubbing it quickly into small pieces. Proceed until the mixture resembles a sandy texture with pebble-sized pieces of butter (the pieces of butter will be irregularly shaped; that's fine). Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the buttermilk-egg mixture (this will be for brushing the top of the scones) pour the remaining buttermilk mixture into the flour, along with the vanilla extract. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to stir the dough until it starts to come together. Once it’s almost all the way combined, dump the dough onto a floured work surface and knead it a couple of times until it comes together. Pat the dough into a ¾ inch thick circle or rectangle. Cut into desired shapes (I made 12 triangles).
- Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with the reserved buttermilk, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, until the bottoms are beginning to brown and the tops are light golden brown. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool.
- Whisk ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Adjust the consistency by adding a little more powdered sugar (to thicken) or cream (to thin). Drizzle over the slightly cooled scones.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!