Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy & delicious breakfast loaded with peppers, breakfast meats & eggs! Great for serving a crowd and a family favorite!
The name of this recipe says it all: Tater tot. Breakfast. Casserole. Are you hungry yet? When Sunday morning rolls around, I always make big breakfasts for the family. But there’s a catch; I prefer easy casserole recipes that are simple to make, easy to clean up after, and of course, pleasing for everyone’s palate! This means I can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with the ones I love most. Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a satiating, savory breakfast dish that fits the bill.
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
The star ingredient is everyone’s favorite potato puff, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Eggs and juicy sausage links are mixed in with the tots, along with melty, gooey cheddar cheese. Onion, garlic, and bell peppers round out this recipe, which is topped with a sprinkle of scallions. This easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe is like comfort food in a pan, so don’t be surprised when you have everyone at the table begging for seconds!
So when you don’t feel like behaving yourself and drinking a tropical smoothie, you can indulge in this delicious dish that’s perfect for brunch with guests or just for lazy weekend mornings at home. Children and adults alike love cheesy foods, from alfredo sauce to sausage cheese balls, and this craveable casserole is no different, it’s loaded with cheese! And the key is to fold the cheese into the mixture and not just put it on top!
This dish is nostalgic for grown-ups and just plain yummy for kids! Besides being people-pleasing, This breakfast casserole with tater tots and sausage is a filling way to start the day (or the afternoon, if you’re sleeping in!). You can try enjoying it with different accompaniments, too: ketchup is a natural choice, but a dollop of sour cream, a drizzle of hot sauce, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes all taste scrumptious with this breakfast casserole. With its combination of savory flavors and tantalizing textures, Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is like comfort food in a pan. Consider making this crowd-pleasing dish for a brunch gathering or on Sunday morning with the family!
Want more easy breakfast casserole recipes?
- Sausage, Gouda & Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Fruity Croissant Puff with Vanilla Bean Glaze
- Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole
- Meaty Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Maple Sausage French Toast Bake
- More breakfast recipes…
Tools used to make this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe
Baking Dish: This baking dish is a must-have for any home cook. I actually have 3 of them in my cupboard, and each dish comes with a lid for storing leftovers or taking your dishes on the go.
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
- 1/2 lb thick-cut bacon chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 bunch scallions diced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 7 ounces precooked sausage links chopped
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the diced onion to the bacon and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so until the bacon is cooked and onions are translucent. Use this cooking time to prep your other ingredients.
- Once cooked, add the bacon, onions, and any grease to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the peppers, scallions, 2 cups of cheese, sausage, and tater tots and mix everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Pour the mixture over the top of the tater tot mixture.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.