Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hash Brown Casserole is a spicy and rich side dish! It pairs perfectly with comfort food like a ham dinner, pork chops or pot roast!
Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hash Brown Casserole is a perfect addition to your breakfast spread, just like my family’s favorite Breakfast Ham Casserole. Cheesy hash browns are a longtime favorite in our family.
We will eat them with just about anything you pair them with because they are just that good. Everyone’s favorite is when we get to enjoy them with Prime Rib for Christmas Eve dinner. But these hash browns aren’t only great for dinner. It really doesn’t get any better than that!
CHEESY BACON & JALAPENO HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
In my typical fashion, I decided to give our family’s classic cheesy potato recipe a spicy twist with these jalapeno bacon hash browns. The addition of jalapeno and bacon take the flavor of this comfort food to a whole new level! They rival Home Fries for my family’s favorite breakfast side dish.
Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hash Brown Casserole Ingredients
- Jalapeño – be sure to remove the spicy ribs and seeds (you may want to use gloves!)
- Hash Browns – you can buy the bagged, frozen kind, just be sure to thaw them well.
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cream soup – I like to use cream of chicken or cream of mushroom for this recipe.
- Melted butter – I recommend using unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt in the dish.
- Salt & pepper
Pro Tip: Consider buying the block cheddar cheese and shredding your own. It’s SO much creamier than the already shredded cheese that you buy in bags, and there’s no powdery coating or other additional preservatives to worry about.
How to Make Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hash Brown Casserole
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- While your oven is heating up, cook the bacon on the stove until it’s crispy, about 6-8 minutes. You’ll want to remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Next, you’ll add the onion and jalapeno to the pan and saute it in the bacon grease until the onions are translucent. This should only take about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Then, set aside a half cup of the cheddar cheese and half of the cooked bacon – you’ll use this later to top the casserole. Add the hash brown potatoes, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, half of the bacon, onions, jalapenos, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl, and combine everything together until it’s mixed thoroughly.
- Add the hash brown mixture to a 9-inch x 13-inch pan coated in non-stick cooking spray and bake it in the oven for one hour, then remove the casserole from the oven, and top it with the remaining cheese and bacon that you reserved earlier.
- Finally, you’ll want to put the casserole back in the oven and bake it for another 15 minutes to get that crispy, melty cheese and bacon topping that makes this dish so good. Serve your bacon hash brown casserole immediately while it’s hot and fresh!
How to Serve Bacon & Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole
You can enjoy these yummy potatoes with breakfast, or with a ham dinner, pork chops, or classic pot roast.
No matter what you make with this cheesy bacon and jalapeno hashbrown casserole, I promise it will be the star of your dinner!
Try some of my other favorite brunch recipes!
- Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Bloody Mary
- Bacon Jalapeno Baked Potato Soup
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
- More SIDE DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Bacon & Jalapeño Hashbrown Casserole recipe
Baking Dish: This baking dish is my favorite tool for baking casseroles. It comes with a convenient lid so you can take leftovers straight from the countertop to the fridge.
Saute Pan: Everyone needs a great saute pan. Its deep, straight walls make it ideal for sauteing vegetables, searing beef or pork, and creating flavorful one-pot pasta dishes.
*This post originally posted on 02/17/2016.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon for 6-8 minutes until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan. Once cool enough to handle, chopped bacon into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Using the bacon grease in the pan saute the onions and jalapenos for 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and half of the cooked bacon.
- In a large bowl, mix together the hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, salt, pepper, onions, jalapeno, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and half of the bacon.
- Coat the inside of a 9-inch x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and fill with hash brown mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour. Top with remaining cheese and bacon and bake an additional 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Entrees perfect to serve with these Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeño Hash Browns!