Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes combines the amazing flavors of bacon, cheese, jalapenos, and potatoes! How could you go wrong?
Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes are the perfect side dish for family dinners or entertaining with friends! We also love Fully Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes and Twice Baked Potato Mini Casseroles but seriously, who doesn’t love jalapeño poppers!?
These twice-baked potatoes are a mash-up of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, cheese, jalapeno, and bacon!!!! Doesn’t that just sound like a dream side dish? Seriously, if I had to dream what the perfect potato would look like, it would be these bacon jalapeno popper twice baked potatoes. The next time you want an out-of-this-world side dish to spice up your normal dinner routine pull out this recipe, and watch as everyone starts to drool just at the sight of them.
The best part is, you can make these twice baked potatoes ahead of time, just like my baked garlic mashed potatoes. These recipes help make getting dinner on the table a breeze. Especially if you’re entertaining for game day or around the holidays!
Real Housemoms TV
This easy twice baked potatoes recipe takes your favorite appetizer, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, and makes it into something worthy to be served as part of the main course. The perfectly mashed and twice baked potato is mixed with cheddar cheese, bits of bacon, and hints of spicy jalapenos, so trust me when I say this will be your new favorite side dish from now on.
BACON JALAPENO POPPER TWICE BAKED POTATOES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
What is a Twice Baked Potato?
- They’re just what they say they are! You take regular baked potatoes and scoop out the flesh, leaving the potato shell intact. Then you mix it up with yummy things like cheese and bacon. You add the potato filling into the potato skins and bake a second time.
I’ve been asked if everything has to be bacon jalapeno flavored. I get it, I mean we have Bacon Jalapeno Poppers, Bacon Wrapped Chicken Jalapeno Poppers, a Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip, and even a Bacon Jalapeno Popper Bloody Mary! All I can say is YES!!!!!
I mean look at all these beautiful ingredients. I love them all and I get to eat them all in one bite. I’m sold!!!!!
Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potato Ingredients
- Unsalted butter
- Baking potatoes
- Seasoned salt
- Cream cheese
- Jalapenos, chopped and don’t forget removing the seeds if you’re serving the kids.
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Twice Baked Potatoes
Since this is a twice-baked potato recipe, it’s not going to be quite as quick of a recipe as some of the other dishes you might find here, but it’s SO worth the extra time. Once you take your first bite of twice baked potato you will understand why people take the time to bake them more than just once!
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and add the butter to let it melt. You could use olive oil here but I love butter on the skins of the potato
- Prep the potatoes
- Place them the hot baking dish with the melted butter and carefully roll them around to coat in the butter using kitchen tongs
- Sprinkle them on all sides with the seasoned salt
- Bake until a fork can be inserted and removed easily
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm cut them in half lengthwise
- Scoop out the center of the potato leaving the potato shell intact
- Place the potato centers into a medium mixing bowl and mash them
- Add in the cream cheese, jalapeno, and most of the bacon leaving some behind for garnish. I usually sneak a slice of bacon here for myself!
- Mix in cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper
- Stir until all is combined
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture back into the potato cups (skins)
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and place back into the baking dish
- Bake until all are warmed through and the cheese is melted on top
garnish with the remaining bacon. You could even add some green onions if you wanted some green.
Can you make twice baked potatoes ahead of time?
Absolutely! Follow this recipe up to the point of being ready to bake the potatoes a second time (with all the filling inside). Then cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. This is a great way to plan for a dinner party!
How long to bake twice baked potatoes from the fridge?
If you’re making make-ahead twice baked potatoes you’ll want to refrigerate them until you’re ready to cook them. From the fridge, you’ll want to add another 10 to 15 minutes to make sure the potatoes are warmed all the way through.
You can even freeze the prepped potatoes and defrost in the fridge before baking. That way you don’t have a bunch of leftovers and can take advantage of making a batch of potatoes at once.
What To Do With Leftover Twice Baked Potatoes
This recipe uses four potatoes because you’ll cut them in half you will end up with eight twice baked potatoes. That’s a lot! I know they taste good but for most families, that’s too many for a single dinner.
The reason that I make this many is to have some in the freezer for easy dinners later. I like to just wrap each potato tightly with plastic wrap and then put them all in a freezer zip bag.
When you know that you want them for dinner you can just pull them out the night before and defrost them in the fridge. Then pop them into the oven, for their second bake, when you’re ready for dinner. So easy!!! It takes just as much time to make eight as it would to make four, so why not?
Tips and Trick for Making Bacon Jalapeno Popper Baked Potatoes
- Do NOT forget to deseed your jalapenos and discard all of the seeds. You don’t want to end you with an appetizer full of jalapeno seeds, and a table full of people with their mouths on fire. The seeds are where most of the spice lives in a jalapeno, so don’t skip that step.
- Most potato types will work fine for the recipe, but Russet potatoes hold up best.
- You can place the potato mixture in the mixer to be mashed instead of hand mashing. Just be sure not to overmix or you will end up with a goopy mess
- It’s best to work with warm potatoes when mashing to get the best results.
Potatoes go with everything, so why not make some more?
Tools used to make this Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes recipe
Casserole Dish: This simple and elegant serving dish goes from oven to table! It’s a staple at our dinner table and I know it will be at your table too!
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must-have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
*This post originally posted on 02/18/2014.
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 jalapenos deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- preheat oven to 425 degrees
- place baking dish in oven with 4 butter to melt it
- clean the potatoes and prick them with a fork on all sides
- place them the hot baking dish with the melted butter and carefully roll them around to coat in the butter
- sprinkle them on all sides with the seasoned salt
- bake for 45 to 60, until a fork can be inserted and removed easily
- once the potatoes are cool enough to handle but still warm but them in half length wise
- scoop out the center of the potato being careful to leave some of the center attached to the skin of the potatoes for stability
- place the potato centers into a med mixing bowl and mash up
- add in the cream cheese, jalapeno, and most of the bacon leaving some behind for garnish
- mix in 1/2 c of the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper
- stir until all is combined
- spoon the mixture back into the potato cups (skins)
- top with the remaining cheddar cheese and place back into the baking dish*
- bake for 10 to 15 minutes until all are warmed through and the cheese is melted on top
- garnish with the remaining bacon
- *if store for later, wrap tightly with plastic wrap after topped with remaining cheese and place into a freezer zip top bag.
- when ready to cook make sure you let them defrost completely in the fridge and then place in 475 degree oven for 30 min covered with foil
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!