Save time and energy in the kitchen by making these easy and delicious Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes! A family favorite great for weeknights or the holidays!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I don’t know about you, but I’m looking for every shortcut in the book! Cooking Thanksgiving dinner can be a huge task but if you have an Instant Pot, break that baby out because it’s going to be your best friend! There are so many side dishes you can make in a pressure cooker – like everyone’s favorite mashed potatoes! There’s nothing quite like Thanksgiving mashed potatoes and once you make them in the Instant Pot, you’ll never go back.
INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I love using my Instant Pot during the holidays! If you’re a first time user it can be a little tricky, but if you have one and haven’t used it yet or are thinking of buying one, I have to say that it’s one appliance that is a must-have in our home. Don’t be nervous, these pressure cooker recipes will come in handy!
I also love a good potato, and mashed potatoes are no exception. I have to be honest though, I always opted for instant potatoes because they can be so much work! That’s why I’m so excited that we’ve perfected the mashed potatoes in Instant Pot because I’ll be making them this way from now on!
This is a classic mashed potato recipe with butter, milk and a few spices, but the great thing about this method is that once you cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot, really you can add whatever you like! Like your potatoes a little creamier? Add some cream cheese! The sky is the limit. So this year, give this Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe a try. And if you’re looking for more Thanksgiving sides that will be a hit, try our Easy Crock Pot Fried Apples, Sweet Potato Casserole, and Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce! They’re both reader favorites!
Looking to spice up your dinner routine? Try some of my other favorite sides!
- Southern Fried Corn
- Super Easy Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Bacon & Onion Green Beans
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe
Instant Pot: This all-in-one cooker is the best thing I’ve put on my countertop! It’s a pressure cooker, slow cooker, makes rice in minutes, and more!
Measuring Cup: Glass measuring cups are a kitchen tool everyone needs. This set makes sure you can measure exactly how much liquid you need for your recipe and they last practically forever!
Potato Masher: A must have for any potato lover! I like the style of this masher because my potatoes don’t get stuck and they come out perfectly mashed!
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Chives for garnish
- Wash and peel 2lbs of Russet potatoes (about 7 medium potatoes). Once peeled, place into a bowl of water so potatoes do not brown.
- Place wire rack inside of a 6qt Instant Pot and place whole potatoes on top of the rack. Cover with 1 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot and set vent to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to 20 minutes on Manual (high pressure). (The Instant Pot will take 10-15 minutes to come up to pressure before counting down).
- Once the Instant Pot counts down and beeps, let it set for 15 minutes of natural release. After 15 minutes, quick release any pressure that is left before opening the lid.
- Open the lid, remove the potatoes and wire rack and dispose of the remaining stock in the pot. Return potatoes back to the pot.
- Using a hand masher, lightly mash the potatoes. Add butter to the lightly mashed potatoes and fold in using a spoon or spatula. Then mash potatoes again to desired consistency.
- Heat milk and salt in the microwave for a minute. Add milk mixture to the potatoes slowly, making sure it is absorbed completely.
- At this point taste the potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with additional butter and chives for garnish.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!