This Yellow Squash Casserole is the ultimate comfort food! It can be prepped ahead of time and popped in the oven just before dinner!
When it comes to easy casserole recipes, this Yellow Squash Casserole is one of my all time favorites. The dish is like the ultimate comfort food! I was worried that it might be more of a summer recipe, but I could eat this any day of the year! It’s so good!! This casserole comes together so fast and you could easily prepare it ahead of time and then toss it in the oven just before dinner. Your family will LOVE it!
YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pin board
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I have to tell you that I have never made a savory recipe, and had someone tell me that it was as satisfying as any dessert. That is never until now! Seriously!
That’s what my husband told me when he tried this casserole. Not only that but he had the leftovers! He never eats leftover anything.
There is a dilemma that most food bloggers run into all the time. We want to share with you all the food we make for our families but the best light to use for photos is natural light.
So that means we either make dinner early in the day and reheat for the family later or take dark pictures. I usually choose the reheat method. My family does get a fresh hot meal most days but once or twice a week we have the reheated meal.
In the case of this Yellow Squash Casserole, it didn’t affect the taste at all! That fact alone gets major brownie points in my book.
Want more squash recipes?
- Butternut Squash Corn Bread
- Roasted Honey Ginger Beets with Winter Squash
- Healthy Crock Pot Taco Spaghetti Squash
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Pear & Pork
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Yellow Squash Casserole recipe
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Cutting Board: A good-sized cutting board is a must for home cooks. This board is thick & sturdy and makes recipe prep a breeze.
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Baking Dish: This baking dish is a must-have for any home cook. I actually have 3 of them in my cupboard, and each dish comes with a lid for storing leftovers or taking your dishes on the go.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil over med heat in a large skillet. Saute onions and garlic for 2-3 min.
- Add the squash on top and then add the water to the pan. Cover and allow to steam for about 5 min, until squash is tender.
- In a medium bowl, crush crackers with your hands. Add in cheese and toss. Set half of the cracker/cheese mixture aside.
- Stir in the milk, beaten eggs, and melted butter. Add in the squash mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining cracker mixture and dab with 2 tbsp butter.
- Bake for 25 min until cracker topping is slightly browned. Serve warm.