Take the classic Sheppard’s Pie and mix it up a bit with this delicious CORNED BEEF SHEPPARD’S PIE just in time for St. Patrick’s Day!
I could eat corned beef all year long In fact, I just made my own from scratch. Did you know it takes about 7 days to cure the beef and then you have to still cook it? It’s definitely a labor of love and worth every single minute. It was the best corned beef I’ve had!
Real Housemoms TV
Whether you make your own from scratch, buy one in the store, or buy a pre-cooked and sliced package of corned beef you can make this recipe and it will be delicious. I used leftover corned beef and mashed potatoes and it came together really fast. The best part is that you can throw this together in the morning and keep it in the fridge until supper time. Don’t you love a meal that can be made in advance and then warmed when needed….it’s a life saver on busy school nights.
Besides the meat swap, I left out the peas that are traditionally found in Sheppard’s Pie because they aren’t normally served as a corned beef side dish. I did add some sauteed onions and carrots for the vegetable layer. It’s total comfort food for me, especially because of the giant layer of mashed potatoes.
Nothing is better than comfort food for the whole family on a busy night!
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 4 cups cooked and chopped corned beef
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbls corn starch
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon
- 5 -6 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 F and spray a casserole dish (about 9x13 sized) with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium pan, cook carrots and onions in olive oil over medium high heat. Cook vegetables until soft, but not caramelized, about 5-10 minutes. While vegetables cook, combine beef stock, corn starch, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Layer corned beef in prepared pan. Add a layer of vegetables and then pour sauce evenly over the vegetables. Top with an even layer of mashed potatoes. Place in oven and cook 20-30 minutes or until everything is heated through.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!