This warm and creamy Mexican Spinach Dip is easy, make ahead, bursting with fiesta-licious spices and quite possibly the BEST Spinach Dip ever!
Don’t you just looooove Spinach Dip? Its creamy, cheesy, comforting and just plain addictingly delicious. It’s no surprise that Spinach Dip has been an American favorite appetizer since the 1950’s, back when Lipton published the recipe on the back of their vegetable soup mix. History in the making. Today, Spinach Dip is as deliciously popular as ever – but even more delicious with this festive Mexican twist with multi-dimensional flavors!
MEXICAN SPINACH DIP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This Mexican Spinach Dip was born out of an experiment. I was making Spinach Dip for a baby shower and although it was good, I thought it was somewhat predictable. Been there, tasted that. I wanted to put a fresh twist on Spinach Dip so I added some black beans, Rotel tomatoes, red bell peppers, handpicked Mexican seasonings, Pepper Jack cheese and this glorious Mexican Spinach Dip was born. Can we say flavor?! This Mexican Spinach Dip tastes wonderfully fiestalicious without being too spicy for all your guests. If you want to kick it up, then feel free to add hot sauce to taste.
This Mexican Spinach Dip is so crazy good you will be craving it for days. What I love almost as much as the taste, is that it is a stress free, make ahead appetizer. You can prep the entire appetizer up to the point of baking and then stick in the fridge until it’s party time. Or fiesta time. If you are making the Dip beforehand, I would add an additional 5-10 minutes cooking time, just to ensure the dip is nice and bubbly hot in the center. As this hot Mexican Dip should be.
As far as the reception of this twist on a classic? It was the runaway hit of the party with everyone begging for the recipe. And now they will be begging you for the recipe!
Want more fiesta food?
- Salsa Onion Dip
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos
- Mini Bean Dip Cups
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Mexican Spinach Dip recipe
Cast Iron Skillet: This cast iron skillet is one of my most treasured pieces of cookware. I’ve had mine for years and make everything from breakfast to dinner and dessert in it!
Baking Dish: A square baking dish is a must have for home cooks. This one comes with a sturdy lid for easy storing and transporting your favorite dishes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilies Rotel, drained
- 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach thawed and thoroughly drained/patted dry
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp EACH dried oregano cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise I use reduced-fat
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened (I use 1/3 less fat)
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheese divided
- ⅓ cup sour cream I use reduced-fat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a 12” oven proof skillet.* Add onions and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until soft. Add red bell pepper, black beans and garlic and sauté for two additional minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes/green chilies, spinach, all seasonings/spices and mayonnaise until well combined and spinach is warmed through. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted followed by ½ of cheddar until melted and ½ of Pepper Jack until melted. Stir in sour cream until well combined.
- Top dip with remaining cheddar and Pepper Jack. Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Broil until cheese is golden. Serve with tortilla chips.
You might also like: