Stacey just celebrated her birthday and I started thinking back to hanging out at her house, playing cards, drinking wine and snacking on delicious food. She usually always had spinach artichoke dip! It’s one of my all time favorites. Thinking about it made me start to really crave some. I couldn’t wait for everything to come together in the crock pot so I cheated and got it started on the stove. I had to spice it up to help us warm up so I added some jalapeno in.
A lot of people get worried when they see jalapeno in a recipe. I think it’s a great pepper for those that aren’t to big into heat. The nice thing about them is that you can easily control the heat. If you take out the seeds and the membranes of the peppers you will get the flavor without the spice, especially with all the dairy in this dip. If you want to kick it up to a medium leave the seeds and membranes. I found when I grew my own that the darker the jalapeno the more spicy they were. I had some that were almost black, just about to turn red and they really hurt. The lighter the green color they milder they were.
I added the red bell pepper in to bring in more color and make it the perfect Christmas appetizer but it really does add to the flavor. I found myself scooping bites with the bell pepper so next time I may try it with more. I’m heading to a white elephant Christmas party soon so maybe I’ll bring a batch of this to the party!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 c onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced (remove the seeds and membrane to reduce the heat)
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 14 oz. can artichoke hears chopped
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 c parmesan cheese shredded
- preheat oven to 450 degrees
- in a med saucepan heat olive oil over med heat
- add in onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno and cook just until softened
- stir in cream cheese and sour cream and continue to stir until melted and smooth
- add in spinach, artichokes and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- spray a casserole dish with cooking spray
- pour in dip and spread into an even layer
- top with remaining 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- place into oven and cook for 5 min or until cheese is melted and bubbly
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!