Creamy, cheesy and simple this Rotel Dip is a classic party appetizer recipe that whips up quickly and is the best last-minute dish to have on hand!
We love Rotel Dip around here. It is one of those dip recipes that we make more times than not. It’s a classic and has been around for years, and I don’t think I know of someone who hasn’t ever heard of it! It is easy, delicious and just quick to whip up which makes it just that much better. I love having more than one where I’ve added different sometimes heartier ingredients to change it up, my favorite one to share is easy chicken queso dip.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
We are appetizer addicts in our house. We could make meals of just appetizers alone. We have a recipe similar to this called Easy Sausage Dip, the ingredients are close, however slightly different.
There are so many different ways you can make this Rotel Cheese Dip it isn’t even funny. Everyone has their little secret on how they make theirs, and I’m going to share with you how we make ours!
Ingredients for Rotel Cheese Dip
- Pork Sausage or Ground Beef
- Cheddar Cheese
Those 4 simple ingredients make up this Rotel Dip, and you can’t get any easier than that, amirite?
You can use either mild or spicy pork sausage or hamburger, we switch it up based on what we have on hand, so use what you have or what you like best, and it will work!
Another secret of ours to add a little extra cheesiness is to sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top and then stick it in the broiler for a few minutes, so it has a beautiful golden color and gives you that desired cheese pull.
Velveeta Rotel Dip by nature is more of a creamier dip so that extra cheese on top really gives it a little bit more which we love, but it is not necessary.
How to Make Rotel Dip
- Brown sausage in an ovenproof skillet on the stove, drain.
- Add in Rotel (not drained) and stir to combine.
- Add in your Velvet and stir until creamy and melted.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place under broiler for a few minutes until melted and golden.
That is super simple, but you don’t have to make this Rotel Dip on the stovetop. You can also make it in the Crock Pot or place it in the crockpot to keep it warm until serving.
How to Make Rotel Dip in a Crock Pot
- Brown sausage in a skillet on the stove until cooked.
- Add to crockpot and stir in your Rotel then add in cheese and stir until combined.
- Place the cover over the top and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high 1-2 hours.
- Remove lid and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts.
This dip can be served with chips or bread or literally eaten with a spoon. It’s just so addicting, and we love to eat this over potatoes as it makes a delicious topping.
You need to add this Rotel Sausage Dip to your next party menu. Kids love it because it isn’t too spicy depending on what meat you choose to use. It’s super cheesy and creamy and just generally a quick and easy recipe that everyone will love!
What goes good with Rotel Dip?
Usually, we serve this dip up with tortilla chips, these are some of my favorite recipes to fill out the party menu!
- Chicken Enchilada Sliders
- Spicy Chicken Tortilla Roll Ups
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken Taco Cups
- Mexican Chicken Empanadas
- More appetizer recipes…
Tools used to make this Rotel Dip recipe
Cast Iron Skillet: This cast iron skillet is one of my most treasured pieces of cookware. I’ve had mine for years and make everything from breakfast to dinner and dessert in it!
Wooden Spoon: Wooden spoons are a kitchen essential. I keep a bunch of them on hand for every meal from breakfast to dinner.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 10.5 ounces Rotel (mild or hot) (1 can)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Green onions sliced
- In an oven-proof skillet cook your sausage until no longer pink and drain.
- Stir in your Rotel (undrained) until combined.
- Add in your Velveeta and stir until melted and creamy.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place under broiler until melted and slightly golden.
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!