SALSA VERDE HONEY LIME CHICKEN TACO CUPS baked in wonton wrappers, stuffed with irresistible slow cooker chicken and smothered in cheese for an easy satisfying appetizer, snack or meal. You won’t be able to eat just three!
Tacos are one of my all-time favorite foods! Some of my favorites are Carne Asada Tacos and Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos! Tacos – in any form – are only as good as the chicken/beef/fish filling, so I’ve taken my favorite spicy (not too spicy), sweet and tangy Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken to stuff these taco cups and create can’t-stop-eating-deliciousness that couldn’t be any easier! In the hot summer months, I love my slow cooker just as much as I love my grill, so in went chicken, salsa verde, honey, lime, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, etc….and out came Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken without even breaking a sweat (at least from cooking). And barely raising a finger.
Real Housemoms TV
Now to make these taco cups, all you do is bake the wonton wrappers in a muffin tin for 5 minutes, add your try-not-to-eat-it-all-before-you-stuff-the-cups-chicken filling, pile with cheese and bake for 5-7 more minutes until golden cheesy bliss. Can I pause and thank the person who dreamt up baked wonton cups? Every bit as addictingly crunchy as traditional wontons without the folding and sealing and more crunch to filling ratio than tacos = perfection.
The sweet heat cheesy chicken filling is then crowned with your favorite taco fixings – lettuce, guacamole, mangoes, etc. …and finally inhaled cup after cup after cup.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken Taco Cups – for the most delicious, easy “dump and run” appetizer, snack or meal!
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Honey Lime Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mild salsa verde I use Herdez in the jar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 24 wonton wrappers*
- 1/2 Monterrey Jack Cheese more or less
- Sour Cream
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining Slow Cooker ingredients. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be a lot of liquid remaining). Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20-30 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the wells of 2 12-count muffin tins with non-stick spray. Press a wonton wrapper into each well and bake for 5 minutes.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of filling into each wrapper and top with approximately 1 teaspoon cheese. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and wonton wrappers are crispy. Broil cheese until golden if desired.
- Top with desired Taco Toppings and serve!
You might also like:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!