Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes are a great, easy side dish to make for any dinner and have that buttery garlic flavor you can’t get enough of!
Potatoes are a must-have for most meals, but after your first bite of Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes, you’ll never want to have them any other way! Tender smashed potatoes covered with deliciously garlicky butter are the perfect side to any meal and are incredibly easy to make.
You can never go wrong when serving potatoes and with so many different ways to prepare them you can enjoy them every night of the week. We love the crispy outsides and soft insides of Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes and don’t even get me started on the garlic butter- there is no combination I love more! These potatoes are our year-round, comfortable go-to dish because they go with any meal.
Serve these fantastic potatoes with a veggie main dish of Loaded Cauliflower Steaks or delicious Baked Chicken Thighs– everything is better with potatoes!
Other Recipes to Serve with Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- If you’ve never had potatoes served like nachos, then here’s your chance to fix that huge mistake with mouthwatering Loaded Potato Nachos!
- Start the night with Cheesesteak Potato Skins, full of crowd-pleasing cheesesteak flavors and, of course, potatoes!
Potatoes: You will need a pound of small potatoes of your choice.
Butter: Melt some of your favorite butter to drizzle over these potatoes.
Seasoning: For these potatoes, you will need fresh garlic, along with a bit of salt and pepper.
How to Make Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
STEP ONE: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the whole potatoes. Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet well and place the potatoes on the sheet.
STEP TWO: Lightly smash each potato with a fork, potato masher, or the bottom of a glass while keeping the potato together. Bake the smashed potatoes for 20 minutes.
STEP THREE: Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave and then stir in the garlic. After the potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, drizzle the garlic butter over them and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the potatoes.
STEP FOUR: Continue to bake the potatoes for another 5-7 minutes. Once finished, remove the potatoes from the oven, transfer them to a serving platter, and sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish. Serve while they’re still nice and warm.
Tips for Success
- Any small potato will work for this recipe: red, white, waxy, and more. You will find that some types crisp more in the oven and some have a wonderful fluffy texture, so try out a few different types to find your favorite!
- You can drizzle the butter and garlic over the potatoes before you bake them, but the garlic may become well-toasted. Coating the potatoes before or after baking is totally up to you.
- The potatoes are fully cooked after boiling them, but don’t be tempted to bake them for a shorter time in the oven- baking them is how you get that amazing crispiness!
Why do my potatoes never get crispy?
An essential part of making wonderfully crispy potatoes is to give the potatoes enough room on the pan when baking. Try not to overcrowd the potatoes on the pan, and use two pans if necessary. If the potatoes are crowded on the pan, then the steam released from them will be trapped, causing less crispy potatoes. Also, preheat the oven so it’s nice and hot when the potatoes are ready to be baked!
What do I eat with crispy smashed potatoes?
When it comes to what to serve with potatoes, the sky is the limit! Is there nothing you don’t love with potatoes? Try your favorite steak, pork chop, or meatloaf recipes with a side of these delicious crispy potatoes. Smashed potatoes are also a great side to make indoors while the grill is fired up to make all your favorite BBQ dishes outdoors! A great summer salad and chicken tenders or a brisket sandwich are also amazing with a helping of Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes.
More Delicious Potato Sides for Every Meal
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes
- Parmesan and Rosemary Potato Stacks
- Au Gratin Potato Casserole
- Garlic Ranch Potato Wedges
- Cheesy Bacon Oven Potatoes
*This post was originally posted on 05/21/2015.
- 1 pound small red potatoes washed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the whole potatoes to the pot and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and gently smash with a fork, potato masher, or the bottom of a glass. (Don't press down hard enough to break the potatoes apart. You want them to still hold their shape, just smashed.)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Stir together the garlic and melted butter. Spoon the garlic butter over the top of each potato and then season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish if desired. Serve warm.