Growing up I wan’t a fan of cranberry sauce. It was too tart but as I got older I had to have it with every holiday meal and all my leftovers too! A few years ago I decided to make up a batch of my own. I really thought there would be more to it but after watching Tyler Florence make some I figured I could give it a try. It really is so simple to make and can be made ahead of time which is perfect for the holidays, right?! This recipe is fantastic because you can make it as sweet or tart as you prefer. If you want it more sweet you can just replace the water for apple juice. As it cooks down you can even taste it and see if you want to add more brown sugar in to sweeten it up. I make this the week of Thanksgiving and then keep it in an air tight container until you’re ready to serve on Thanksgiving. I also freeze my fresh cranberries when I get them home from the store and then put them in the pot frozen. You should be able to make this with fresh or frozen berries.
- 12 oz. cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 c brown sugar packed
- 1/2 c. water or apple juice
- zest of one orange
- juice of two navel oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- place all ingredients in a med sauce pan and bring to a bowl
- reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally to break open berries
- cook for 15 to 20 minutes and then remove from heat and allow to cool
- store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
- **using apple juice instead of water will result in a sweeter cranberry sauce**
Real Housemoms TV
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!