Easy Sweet Potato Casserole has creamy, spiced sweet potatoes topped with an irresistible pecan brown sugar streusel. It’s the perfect side dish for any holiday meal!
For every holiday, there’s a sweet potato casserole on my family’s dinner table. Everyone in my family has a different way of making their sweet potatoes – my mom likes to add orange juice, my aunt tops hers with caramelized apples, and my husband’s mom has this amazing Mother-in-Law Candied Yams recipe. This sweet potato casserole recipe with crunchy brown sugar streusel topping is my personal favorite, and I love that it can even be made in ahead of time!
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your THANKSGIVING pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole
This dish starts with the sweet potatoes. I like to roast my sweet potatoes whole and scoop out the insides, but you could peel and boil chunks of sweet potato if you prefer. The sweet potatoes are mashed with a little butter, sugar and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use a potato masher for a more coarse and rustic mash, or if you like your sweet potatoes silky smooth, blend them in the food processor. I tend to use a potato masher because I like the extra texture in my sweet potatoes.
The streusel topping is a simple mixture of brown sugar, melted butter, flour, and pecans. Some people like sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, but I like to mix things up and do a steusel topping too.
I like to mash my potatoes, sprinkle the topping over them, and then refrigerate the casserole until I’m ready to bake it. If you choose to make your casserole in advance, you’ll need to add about 10 more minutes to the baking time to make sure it’s cooked through.
This easy sweet potato casserole can easily be doubled to serve a crowd. I often make a double batch for larger gatherings because it goes quickly, even the kids love it! Whether you’ve got a special occasion or simply want a hearty fall side dish, easy casserole recipes will be welcomed at your table!
Want more sweet potato recipes?
- Mini Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Stacks
- Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Sweet Potato Wedges with Honey Lime Dip
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Sweet Potato Casserole recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Food Processor: Slice, chop, and grate anything you need with this food processor. I’ve had this model for years and use it all the time. It’s a great workhorse in my kitchen and I’d recommend it to anyone!
2-Quart Baking Dish: A square baking dish is a must-have for home cooks. This one comes with a sturdy lid for easy storing and transporting your favorite dishes.
For the casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Prick the potatoes with a fork and place them on the pan.
- Bake the potatoes until tender, 45 minutes to an hour.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them open, scoop out the insides and place the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter, milk, brown sugar, spices, and egg to the bowl.
- Use a potato masher or food processor to mash or blend the potatoes until mostly smooth.
- Grease a 9-inch square pan or 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pecans until crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping has lightly browned.
- Serve immediately
Other recipes you might like: