Baked potatoes are always a big hit and these Fully Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes are no exception! This make-ahead twice baked potato recipe is a dinner win!
My Fully Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes were inspired by the classic loaded baked potato. Now I’ve made them even better! I love just making this recipe for holiday dinners, but I also love these make-ahead twice-baked potatoes for entertaining!
I can do all the prep ahead of time and just pop them into the oven before dinner. I put some baked potato toppings into the filling for a flavor combo you won’t forget! You really can’t go wrong with bacon and cheese.
If you want all these delicious flavors without the prep time, try my loaded mashed potato casserole next. It’s just as delicious!
FULLY LOADED TWICE BAKED POTATOES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your COURSE pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I can’t resist a good loaded potato. This easy twice baked potato recipe calls my name every time I look at it. You won’t believe how creamy and delicious it is until you sink your teeth into that first bite. What’s even better is that you can make these baked potatoes with just a handful of ingredients!
Ingredients to Make A Twice-Baked Potato Recipe
- Baking potatoes
- Season salt
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
The only thing better than this simple ingredient list are the easy to follow instructions. Since these baked potatoes get baked twice, most people assumed they’re complicated to make. Not true!
This recipe is as simple as it can be. Putting dinner on the table with this twice baked potato recipe as the side will be a breeze.
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Start by preheating the oven. Prepare your potatoes by scrubbing the skins and poking holes all over each one using a fork.
- Then place butter in a roasting dish a warm until melted. Roll the potatoes in the butter until they’re completely coated.
- Next, sprinkle all sides with season salt and roast in the oven until a fork inserted can be pulled out easily
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from oven and allow to cool. Once cool to the touch, slice in half to create nice long potato boats.
- Here’s the tricky part. You need to scoop out the center of the potato, but leave a border of potato on the skins. You’re making a bowl for the filling to go back into and you don’t want the bowl too thin. Place the scooped out potato into a medium bowl.
- Add the sour cream, bacon crumbles, chives, and cheese into the bowl and mix and mash everything together. Once well mixed, spoon the mixture back into the potato skins. You’ll overfill the potatoes, just pile the filling on top.
- Sprinkle some more cheese on top and place the potatoes back into the roasting pan.
- Place the pan back into the oven and bake until cheese has melted and the potatoes are warmed through.
See? That’s nothing to be scared of by right? Twice baking the potatoes does take a little time and effort, but it is SO worth it in the end. Trust me, once you try a twice-baked potato you will never go back to just regular baked potatoes.
Why Do I Need To Bake The Potatoes Twice?
Baking the potatoes twice is essential for adding that extra amazing flavor. Baking the potatoes a second time gives you a beautiful mixture between a regular baked potato and mashed potatoes. Heaven in your mouth friends.
You certainly don’t have to go through the twice baking process just to enjoy a potato. That being said, this recipe it won’t really be the same without it. I highly suggest giving it a try!
What Goes With Easy Twice Baked Potatoes?
So many dishes go great with these potatoes. It’s one of those side dishes that you can just throw in with almost any dinner and it still works.
When I serve up this twice baked potato recipe, I will usually pair it with a simple chicken recipe. Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken, these potatoes, and an easy wedge salad are an easy dinner win at my house!
Can I Freeze A Twice Baked Potato Recipe?
These easy twice baked potatoes freeze wonderfully. Wrap each cooked potato separately in plastic wrap, then place all the individually wrapped potatoes into a gallon-size freezer bag. Once you have everything prepped and ready, place the bag of potatoes in the freezer for up to three months!
These potato recipes are so good they might upstage dinner!
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Potato Skins
- Red Potato Salad
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- More SIDE DISH recipes…
Tools used to make Fully Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
Roasting dish: This dish set is one of my favorites to use for roasting just about anything. It’s a perfect size and holds up so well!
Stainless steel scooper: Scooping potatoes is made so easy by using a little hack. I always use an ice cream or cookie scoop to make the process 10 times easier.
*This post originally posted on 05/27/2014.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Seasoned salt
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chives thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub the potato skins and poke holes all over them using a fork.
- Melted butter in a roasting dish. Roll the potato in the butter to coat them completely. Sprinkle all sides with seasoned salt.
- Roast potatoes in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a fork inserted can be pulled out easily.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool to the touch.
- Once cooled, slice potatoes in half horizontally. Carefully scoop out the center leaving a border of potato on the skins. Place the scooped out potato into a medium bowl.
- To the bowl, add the sour cream, bacon crumbles, chives, and 1 cup of cheese, and mix with the potatoes until fully incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins. The skins will be overfull.
- Top potatoes with the remaining cheese and place back into the roasting pan.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese has melted and the potatoes are warmed through, about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm. We like to top our potatoes with extra sour cream and chives.
Cindy Fitzsimmons says
Absolutely delicious 😋
Royal ovens says
Well first of all Aubrey its really nice to see how you introduce yourself and second thing,coming to your dish.trust me its really so tasty .I made it and yeah its not tastes like you but yes who ever eat it they said that its really good.So i get credit from your dish..lol..I think you have really good taste in ingredients to.Hope you keep coming up with such delicious dishes .!!!