These aren’t your typical mashed potatoes. This Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole is packed with BACON and CHEESE! It’s creamy, salty, cheesy, and it tastes so good!
My family used to call me “Potato Girl”. Not the most flattering of labels, that’s for sure! But it was deserved. Because I love potatoes as much as I love cheese. Both are right up there at the top of my all-time favorite foods. Just as I have never met a cheese I don’t love, I have never come across a form of potato that I don’t want to inhale…especially this Sweet Potato Casserole and Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole. I’m a Carb Monster through and through. I still remember that Christmas when every single person in my family gave me a potato recipe book. They did it as a joke, and thought it was even more hilarious when I actually really loved it – ba ha ha!!!
LOADED MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
With Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it was high time to share this Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole which is basically one of my all-time favorite easy casserole recipes for large gatherings. Not only is it ridiculously lip-smackingly delicious, it’s actually really practical because it can be made ahead then reheated on the day. Make ahead mashed potatoes are my favorite for a big holiday dinner. I’ve even been known to make this as a leftover mashed potato casserole and stir in all the extra flavoring to “load” up the potatoes.
I even cook the extra bacon to scatter on top, then on the day of, just pop it in the microwave to reheat. Because cold bacon = meh. Not one of my favorite things in this world.
One of my friends loves to add chopped up dill pickle into this. It’s great because it cuts through the richness.
And of course, as the French say, butter makes EVERYTHING better. Just like bacon. So while I am more generous with the butter (and cream!) in this than my every day mashed potato, feel free to be even more generous if you want.
Want more potato recipes?
- Au Gratin Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan and Rosemary Potato Stacks
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Fully Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole recipe
Large Pot: This pot is a kitchen essential for everything from dinner to desserts. I use mine all the time and with proper care, it’ll last for years and years.
Baking Dish: This simple and elegant serving dish goes from oven to table! It’s a staple at our dinner table and I know it will be at your table too!
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain potatoes then return to pot. Add cream, butter, sour cream, garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mash until smooth, or to taste.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese, most of the bacon and scallions, reserving some for topping.
- Transfer into</g> small baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Top with remaining bacon and scallions. Serve with extra sour cream and serve immediately.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!