Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes are the ultimate side dish, perfect for your average weeknight dinners and worthy of your holiday feasts!
Smooth and creamy Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes are literally loaded with all the your favorite ingredients and only take 10 minutes to prep! These potatoes are slow cooked in chicken broth and mashed with sour cream, cheese cheese, crispy bacon and more cheese to make the smoothest, creamiest mashed potatoes ever.
LOADED WITH GOODNESS
If the world was ending, I think I’d be happy with a bowl of these phenomenal loaded mashed potatoes as my last meal. With minimal prep and clean-up time, this slow cooker recipe is also perfect for holiday meals when everything is competing for space on the stovetop. After all, mashed potatoes should never be served cold!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH LOADED MASHED POTATOES
- Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin – If you’re building a simple holiday meal, this turkey recipe will help keep things easy and delicious.
- Green Beans with Bacon – Since you already have the bacon out, why not add something green to the plate?!
- Mamaw’s Rolls – A warm fluffy roll will help make sure you don’t leave any Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes behind on the plate.
Potatoes: Buy a 5-pound bag of your preferred potato. Personally, I use Yukon gold or red potatoes, but russet is always an option too.
Crock Pot Add-ins: You’ll slow cook the potatoes in chicken broth seasoned with garlic powder and onion powder.
Mix-ins: Load up this side dish with butter, sour cream, cream cheese, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chives or green onions. Also, feel free to salt and pepper it to taste.
Toppings: Top your potatoes with more bacon, cheese, and chives as desired!
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER LOADED MASHED POTATOES
STEP ONE: Start by peeling the potatoes and slicing them into 1-inch size pieces. Place the potato chunks into the slow cooker and pour in the chicken broth. Add in the garlic powder and onion powder or dried minced onion. Cover the potatoes and cook them on LOWw for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
STEP TWO: Once the potatoes are tender, add the butter. Mash the potatoes until they reach the desired smoothness and consistency.
STEP THREE: Next, stir in the sour cream and cream cheese. Add in most of the crumbled bacon, most of the shredded cheese, and most of the chopped chives or green onions. Once mixed, salt and pepper the loaded potatoes to taste.
STEP FOUR: When serving, top Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes with the remaining bacon, cheese, and chives. Serve warm and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- It may not seem like enough chicken broth for 5 pounds of potatoes, but the broth on the bottom acts to steam the potatoes while cooking. Also, there’s no need to drain the both before mashing.
- This recipe is totally customizable so feel free to add or omit any ingredients that you’d like.
DO I HAVE TO PEEL THE POTATOES?
Based on your personal preference, you can peel the potatoes, or leave the skin completely on them without having to adjust the recipe. The good news is that opting not to peel the potatoes saves a good chunk of time! I happen to enjoy the texture and consistency of mashed potatoes with the skin left on, but some people prefer their mashed potatoes to be smoother and creamier. There’s no right or wrong way to enjoy loaded mashed potatoes!
HOW LONG ARE LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES GOOD FOR?
These mashed potatoes are just as delicious the next day as they are the first. If you end up with leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze your leftover mashed potatoes in an airtight container and enjoy them for up to three months.
OTHER SLOW COOKER FAVORITES
- Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Kielbasa Bites
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Meatball Sandwiches
- Honey Glazed Crock Pot Ham
- Slow Cooker Poblano Chicken
*This post originally posted on 10/05/2017.
- 5 pounds potatoes (preferably Yukon gold or red potatoes)
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (or dried minced onion)
- 4 tablespoons butter salted or unsalted
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup chives chopped
- Peel the potatoes (if desired) and then cut them into 1-inch pieces. Place the potatoes in a slow cooker and top with chicken broth, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Uncover and add the butter. Mash until the potatoes reach your desired consistency. (We like our potatoes a little lumpy.)
- Stir in the sour cream, cream cheese, and most of the cooked bacon, cheese, and chives (you'll use the rest on top). Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle the top with the cheese, bacon, and chives. Pop the slow cooker lid back in place and heat until the cheese is melted. Serve as is or give everything once last stir before serving warm.