Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos are the perfect easy dinner ideas! Let your crockpot do the hard work, then assemble your tacos and dig in! Make a double batch and you have bonus cooked chicken you can use to make Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups! Another favorite weeknight meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos are a dinnertime staple in my house. I just throw the chicken and seasonings into my crock pot, set it, and forget it!
A few hours later, all I have to do is scoop the crock pot shredded chicken taco meat into tortillas, then add toppings, and serve with our favorite Mexican Rice Recipe. It’s an easy way to get a filling dinner on the table when I want to make a no-fuss meal.
SUPER EASY SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TACOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your MAIN DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just don’t have the time or desire to stand over a hot stove making a gourmet meal. That’s when I turn to my slow cooker! There’s no easier way to make a busy weeknight dinner.
This slow cooker chicken taco recipe is probably one of the easiest things I’ve ever made in my slow cooker. I just love an easy recipe!
It’s a great one to teach the kids too! I love giving my boys one night a week that they’re responsible for making dinner! They love the feeling of helping and independence and I love not cooking!
*Originally published on 10/12/12*
Ingredients in Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
If you don’t have the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin or chili powder you can substitute taco seasoning mix for all of them. I usually have all four in my kitchen and prefer them over the mix because then I can control the sodium. Another quick option is to use a jar of salsa instead of the onion.
Easy Chicken Tacos
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Crock pot Mexican chicken
- Lime wedges, to give your tacos a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Any other toppings you like
Here’s why you’ll love this recipe: You can use fresh or frozen chicken! Just adjust the cooking time and temperature a bit higher for frozen chicken breasts. Before you know it you’ll have delicious shredded chicken for your tacos with hardly any effort at all!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
There’s a reason I call this recipe “Super Easy” – it really is! Here’s what you need to do:
- Chop the onion and toss it into your crock pot. Add the chicken breasts on top.
- Mix together all of the other ingredients in a bowl, and pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Set your slow cooker, cover, cook, and forget it!
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from your slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Then return the chicken to the slow cooker (with all that flavorful cooking liquid) to keep it moist until you’re ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to eat, use tongs to grab some of the chicken. (Let the excess liquid drain back into the slow cooker.) Then place chicken on a corn or flour tortilla (or taco shells) and top with your favorite taco toppings!
If you’re using fresh chicken: cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
If using frozen chicken: cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
What else can I make with Slow Cooker Chicken Taco meat?
There are so many ways to use leftover shredded chicken taco meat besides a taco salad the next day! Look for recipes requiring shredded chicken that are in the same Mexican flavor family as these tacos. You’ll not only save yourself an extra trip to the store, but you’ll also be able to whip up other tasty chicken recipes in no time!
From Chicken Enchilada Casserole to Creamy Tortilla Soup, or Chicken Queso Dip to Mexican Chicken Empanadas – you could even turn it into Buffalo Chicken Dip right in your crock pot! The possibilities are endless!
What should I serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos?
As I mentioned before, my family loves to eat these crockpot chicken tacos with a hearty helping of Mexican rice. You could also serve them with Mexican Street Corn or Mexican Mango Rice Salad if you want to keep with the Latin inspired food theme.
When I serve these easy chicken tacos, I like to put out an array of toppings to suit my family’s tastes. You can turn your dinner into a taco bar by serving toppings such as shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and shredded lettuce. Your hungry family is sure to be asking for seconds!
Your slow cooker will be your best friend once you try these recipes!
- Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Chicken Wings
- Crock Pot Pork Roast
- Crock Pot Meatball Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Crunchy Pecan Apple Cobbler
- More CROCK POT recipes…
Tools used to make this Super Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe
Slow Cooker: This slow cooker is a lifesaver on busy weekdays! The multifunctional digital control panel and temperature probe make it more of a miniature oven than the manual crockpots of the past.
Tongs: These high-quality stainless steel tongs come with convenient grips to help you grasp meats, vegetables, and more. I use them just about every day in my kitchen!
*This post originally posted on 10/12/2012.
Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- 8 tortillas
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Add chopped onion to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place chicken on top of the onion. Don't worry about defrosting if your chicken breasts are frozen.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and chili powder. Sprinkle seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour chicken broth into slow cooker over the chicken.
- If using frozen chicken cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6 hours. If using fresh chicken cook on LOW for 3-4 hours
- Once chicken is done cooking, remove it from the slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks and add back into the slow cooker with the cooking liquid. This will help keep your chicken moist.
- To serve: Place chicken in tortilla and finish off with your favorite taco toppings! (Let the extra liquid drain back into the slow cooker a bit before putting chicken in your taco.)
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!