All your favorite ingredients join forces in these addicting Crack Chicken Sliders! These are guaranteed to be a new family favorite!
If you have never heard of, or worse- tasted, crack chicken before then it is my pleasure to introduce you. We eat a lot of chicken in my house. It is just so versatile and cheap.
CRACK CHICKEN SLIDERS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Truth is, I have two favorite crack chicken recipes, and each has its own perks. Crock Pot Crack Chicken is the crockpot version of this popular dish. If you want a set it and forget it dinner for your meal planning, slow cooker crack chicken sliders might be your best option.
If your anything like me though and maybe forgot to plan ahead, these crack chicken sandwiches might just save the day! They’re made on the stovetop in about 20 minutes – if your bacon and chicken are cooked ahead of time.
WHAT IS CRACK CHICKEN?
People have been bringing Crack Dip, the simple combination of ranch dressing mix, crumbled bacon, and cheddar cheese, to pot lucks for years. Though Warm Cheesy Crack Dip serves well as an appetizer, I have always felt like it deserved its own spotlight. In evolving the addicting dip recipe, you can now enjoy a whole meal of cheesy, amazing goodness.
A google search of “crack chicken” will present a plethora of inspiring recipes to choose from. The idea behind being called “crack” recipes is they are super easy and super addicting.
You cannot go wrong with sliders in either department. Your chicken filling will steal the show on its own, but don’t stop there! Jazz up your sliders by dressing your buns with melted butter, parmesan, chives, and chopped garlic!
“Crack” chicken is born from the combination of the best ingredients on earth!
BACON – Fresh, crispy bacon is a must- obviously! Never use pre-cooked bacon bits. Crack chicken sandwiches require the sacrifice of freshly cooked bacon. There is simply no way around it.
It is perfectly understandable if you do not want to hassle frying bacon though. Good news is that there is an equally delicious alternative. Cooking bacon in the oven is the easiest way to get the best results, and it lets you avoiding all the greasy mess and hassle of frying on the stovetop.
RANCH SEASONING – When we talk about the best ingredients on earth it is obvious that chicken crack seasoning must include ranch. You can find packets of powdered ranch seasoning in the dressing aisle of your local grocery store. That is, if you don’t already keep it on hand for all occasions.
CHEESE – For this crack chicken recipe, I use shredded sharp cheddar or colby jack. You will also need cream cheese to add the creaminess to this Crack Chicken Slider. I recommend regular cream cheese, but the low-fat options work just as well. Try to avoid whipped varieties though as they tend to create a different texture.
HOW TO MAKE CRACK CHICKEN
The beauty of this recipe is in how quickly you can throw it together. You can pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store and turn it into something out of this world in no time at all. I use the breasts, legs, and chicken thighs from the rotisserie chicken.
But if you didn’t plan ahead, oil and season 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Then you can cook them right alongside the bacon. Then all you need to do is chop or shred the chicken once it’s cooled enough to touch.
- Start by cooking the bacon in a 425 degrees F oven for 20 minutes. Then remove it from the oven and let it cool. Reset oven down to 350 degrees F for the sliders, and then chop the bacon into pieces. You can set it aside for now.
- While your bacon is cooking, shred or chop your precooked chicken. I bought a rotisserie chicken to cut down the prep time. Just be sure to discard the skin if you’re doing this too.
- Next, grab a large pot and place it on the stove over medium heat. Add in the cream cheese, chicken broth, and ranch mix. Whisk those ingredients together for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Now you’re ready to add the chopped bacon, chicken, 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and green onions to the pot. Give that all a stir until it’s evenly combined.
- Start prepping the sliders by cutting the rolls in half so you have tops and bottoms. (Don’t separate the rolls from each other before or after cutting.) Pop the bottom half of the rolls on a baking sheet.
- Then you’ll spread the ranch chicken mixture over the roll bottoms. Sprinkle the remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken. Then finish by putting the top halves of your buns in place.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter and then stir in the minced garlic. Brush this butter mixture over the top of your buns and finish by sprinkling parmesan cheese and chives over the top.
- Next, bake then sliders for about 8-10 minutes. The cheese will be melty and the tops will be golden brown when they’re ready.
- Then all you need to do is remove the Crack Chicken Sliders from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before cutting them into individual sliders.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CRACK CHICKEN SLIDERS
These delicious sliders will fill you up all on their own, but who doesn’t love a good sidekick to the perfect entree? Since we are already on the easy recipe kick, why not add some citrus cilantro slaw. This slaw can be thrown together in just 5 minutes and the citrus component is a great balance to the creamy, cheesiness of the chicken.
If you are looking for another green side, try serving these Crack Chicken Sliders up with an easy wedge salad. The good news is you are already making bacon so you’re halfway done!
Of course, I would be crazy not to also suggest the obvious. Homemade fries, potato wedges, or sweet potato chips are all perfect companions. Potatoes are equally addicting and delicious in their many forms.
TRY THESE OTHER ADDICTING RECIPES
- Baked Jalapeno Popper Chicken Sliders
- Chicken Enchilada Sliders
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 25 Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas in 20 Minutes or Less!
- more DINNER recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS CRACK CHICKEN SLIDERS RECIPE
Baking Sheets: Easy to clean baking sheets that never warp or become discolored are so hard to find!
Pastry Brush: Making sure you brush every inch of your sliders with that delicious buttery finish is a must!
- 6 slices bacon
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 ounce ranch dressing mix (1 packet)
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 12 Hawaiian rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon chives thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lay bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Remove from oven and let cool before chopping. (see note)
- Turn oven to 350 degrees F and place a large pot over medium heat.
- Add cream cheese, chicken broth, and ranch mix to the pot. Cook until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, whisking often.
- Add bacon, chicken, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and green onions to cream cheese mixture. Stir to mix.
- Cut rolls in half so you have tops and bottoms. Place bottom half of rolls on a baking sheet.
- Spread chicken mixture over roll bottoms. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheddar over the filling. Top with the top half of the buns.
- Melt butter & stir in garlic. Brush over buns. Sprinkle Parmesan and chives over buns.
- Bake sliders for 8-10 mins until cheese is melty and tops are golden. Remove from oven. Cool slightly and then cut into 12 sliders before serving.