These perfectly crisp and crunchy baked sweet potato chips are an easy make at home healthy snacks recipes that you won’t be able to resist!
A few weeks ago I was shopping and happened to stumble into the chip/snack aisle – the one I normally avoid at all costs (because my willpower = zero sometimes). I saw a bag of sweet potato chips and thought they sounded so yummy. I was about to toss the bag into my shopping cart but decided to flip it over and check out the ingredients – umm they were NOT made out of sweet potatoes! Crazy, right? I guess they were just flavored like sweet potato? Needless to say, I did not buy them and instead bought a couple extra sweet potatoes so I could try my hand at making my own at home!
They turned out to be way easier than you’d imagine. You really only need a sweet potato and some olive oil spray, although seasonings make them much more fun (more on that in a minute). I have a hand held mandolin slicer which makes the job much faster – if you don’t have a mandolin slicer, they usually run less than 10 bucks and made any job where thin slices are involved a breeze, plus they are small and don’t take up much room. While my oven was preheating I sliced up my potatoes, then spread out the slices, sprayed them with cooking spray, sprinkles them with salt then popped them in the oven – easy peasy!
Of course a sprinkle of sea salt is a great way to enjoy these chips, but there are endless possibilities of other seasonings. Here are a few of my favorites:
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice (I like to make my own with this DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Toss in 1 tbsp Lemon juice + sprinle with 1/2 tsp thyme + sea salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar + 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Fresh cracked black pepper
One last tip – the most important thing to remember with these chips is to slice your potatoes thin – less than 1/4 inch –I would say 1/8 inch is ideal. If you cut them too thick, they may need additional baking time.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes washed and peeled
- Olive oil cooking spray or 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice sweet potatoes as thin as possible (about ⅛ inch). Spread slices out onto baking sheets in a single layer. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Alternatively, spray with olive oil then sprinkle with another seasoning of your choice.
- Bake for 1 hour then flip slices over and bake for an additional hour to hour and a half, checking them every 30 minutes for doneness. Once sweet potatoes are crispy and light golden brown, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store chips in an air tight container at room temperature.
Love these chips? Check out my favorite fall snack, these DIY Apple Chips: