These perfectly crisp and crunchy baked sweet potato chips are an easy make at home healthy snacks recipes that you won’t be able to resist!
A few weeks ago I was shopping and happened to stumble into the chip/snack aisle – the one I normally avoid at all costs (because my willpower = zero sometimes). I saw a bag of sweet potato chips and thought they sounded so yummy. I was about to toss the bag into my shopping cart but decided to flip it over and check out the ingredients – umm they were NOT made out of sweet potatoes! Crazy, right? I guess they were just flavored like sweet potato? Needless to say, I did not buy them and instead bought a couple extra sweet potatoes so I could try my hand at making my own at home!
Real Housemoms TV
They turned out to be way easier than you’d imagine. You really only need a sweet potato and some olive oil spray, although seasonings make them much more fun (more on that in a minute). I have a hand held mandolin slicer which makes the job much faster – if you don’t have a mandolin slicer, they usually run less than 10 bucks and made any job where thin slices are involved a breeze, plus they are small and don’t take up much room. While my oven was preheating I sliced up my potatoes, then spread out the slices, sprayed them with cooking spray, sprinkles them with salt then popped them in the oven – easy peasy!
Of course a sprinkle of sea salt is a great way to enjoy these chips, but there are endless possibilities of other seasonings. Here are a few of my favorites:
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice (I like to make my own with this DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Toss in 1 tbsp Lemon juice + sprinle with 1/2 tsp thyme + sea salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar + 1/2 tsp cayenne
- Fresh cracked black pepper
One last tip – the most important thing to remember with these chips is to slice your potatoes thin – less than 1/4 inch –I would say 1/8 inch is ideal. If you cut them too thick, they may need additional baking time.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes washed and peeled
- Olive oil cooking spray or 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice sweet potatoes as thin as possible (about ⅛ inch). Spread slices out onto baking sheets in a single layer. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Alternatively, spray with olive oil then sprinkle with another seasoning of your choice.
- Bake for 1 hour then flip slices over and bake for an additional hour to hour and a half, checking them every 30 minutes for doneness. Once sweet potatoes are crispy and light golden brown, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store chips in an air tight container at room temperature.
Love these chips? Check out my favorite fall snack, these DIY Apple Chips:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!