Homemade cinnamon chips and sweet strawberries make these scrumptious Dessert Nachos finger food you can’t resist!
Dessert nachos are incredible. Crunchy, sweet, delicious. They’re just the perfect way to take one of my favorite savory foods and turn it into a yummy dessert. In our house, we love a good theme night.
So of course, I’ll make my famous empanada recipe for dinner and follow it up with some homemade dessert nachos. You’ll never crave savory nachos again after trying this sweet dessert nachos recipe!
STRAWBERRY DESSERT NACHOS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERTS board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Today we’re talking dessert nachos. No, not the savory, salty, cheesy nachos that I LOVE (and probably eat wayyyy too often…). But, instead, sweet, decadent, FRUIT nachos with homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips!
Have you ever had the Buffalo Wild Wings dessert nachos? If not, oh man they are scrumptious… but also PACKED with calories. A crispy tortilla topped with scoops upon scoops of ice cream, cheesecake bites, caramel sauce, and chocolate sauce. Definitely overindulgence at its finest.
I love the idea of a big plate of dessert nachos to share with friends at a party. What I definitely do NOT love all the calories that come with many restaurant nachos. Instead, I love to whip up a batch of these fresh and yummy berry dessert nachos! They’re a great shareable finger food dessert without tons of caloric guilt.
The crunch of homemade cinnamon tortilla chips mixed with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and fresh strawberries is the perfect sweet combination. Your taste buds will thank you. I know I’ll be making these dessert nachos for my family to share after our Valentine’s Day dinner!
Strawberry Nacho Ingredients
Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips – For your homemade tortilla chips all you’ll need are some tortillas, melted butter, and some cinnamon sugar.
Another variation you could do with this recipe is to make pie crust dessert nachos. Instead of using tortillas for your chips, cut up some chilled pre-made or homemade pie crust into triangles, prep, and bake!
Strawberries – For these tasty berry dessert nachos, you’ll want to have diced, macerated strawberries on hand. You could simply use diced strawberries. I prefer to macerate them because it gives the dessert a sweeter, more decadent flavor. If strawberries aren’t in season or you’ve got other types of fruit lying around, go ahead and try those out on your dessert nachos. You really can’t go wrong! I’ve been known to add some sliced banana on our strawberry nachos too!
Toppings – There is almost no better combination than berries, chocolate, and whipped cream. That’s why the best toppings for dessert nachos are whipped cream and melted chocolate… or fudge sauce or chocolate syrup. Whatever you have on hand!
How to Make Dessert Nachos
- Start by macerating your strawberries. Wash, hull, and dice your strawberries into small, bite-sized pieces. Place them in a bowl and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Let the strawberries sit while you prepare the cinnamon-sugar chips. This will give your strawberries time to sweeten up and get that delicious syrupy texture that makes macerated strawberries so good!
- Like any good plate of nachos, you’ll need some chips as your bottom layer. To make cinnamon-sugar chips, stir together the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Then brush the flour tortillas with melted butter and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar. Then cut the tortillas into triangles and place them onto greased baking sheets.
- Pop them into a 350 degree F preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. When finished baking, let your tortilla chips cool completely on a wire rack.
- After your chips are completely cooled, layer about half of the chips on your favorite serving tray.
- Now it’s time to dress up those dessert nachos! I like to do this in layers – kind of like lasagna. A layer of macerated strawberries, more chips and strawberries, chocolate drizzled over everything, and some dollops of whipped cream, and repeat! Layer up your nachos until you simply can’t wait to eat them anymore.
- Plop that serving tray right on the table and dig in!
The thing I love best about this dessert nachos recipe is that is a fun, messy dessert for the whole family to eat together. It’s not an “everybody grab your cookie and scatter throughout the house” kinda dessert. Instead, we all sit around the table, grab ourselves some messy nachos and continue our dinner-time conversation!
Looking for some more fun, family-friendly dessert recipes? Check out these other Real Housemoms ideas!
- Fried Ice Cream
- Fruit Pizza
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
- Brownie Batter Dip
- Apple Nachos
- more DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Strawberry Nachos recipe
Pastry Brush: This silicone pastry brush is perfect for making homemade tortilla chips!
Baking Sheet: Every good dessert-maker needs a trusty baking sheet! This one is my tried and true favorite.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place strawberries into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the strawberries and stir to combine. Let them sit and macerate while you prepare the chips.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Brush the top of each tortilla with melted butter and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon-sugar. Cut each tortilla into triangles. Arrange tortillas on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. (You may need to cook them a little longer depending on your preferred crispiness level.)
- While the chips bake, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until smooth and melted.
- Place a layer of cinnamon-sugar chips on a serving platter. Spread strawberries all over the top of the chips. Repeat chips and strawberry layers. Drizzle melted chocolate over everything and top with a large dollop (or three) of whipped cream.