Thin, crisp-edged, chewy-centered chocolate chip cookies sandwiched around a silky chocolate buttercream! These Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches are irresistible and utterly delectable!
I am a hardcore chocolate chip cookie aficionado. I love a good classic chocolate chip cookie, one with a surprise twist, and I even have my own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe on my own site. But I’ve never made chocolate chip cookie sandwiches like this before.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE SANDWICHES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
These are next-level chocolate chip cookies — the cookies themselves are made extra thin with slightly crisped edges and soft, chewy centers. Paired with a smooth chocolate buttercream frosting, they make for perfectly balanced, delectable chocolate chip sandwich cookies.
The chocolate buttercream filling (a favorite frosting that I’ve also used on my favorite vanilla cupcakes) is simple to make, but a few tips will make sure that it comes out perfectly every time.
First, melt your chocolate in advance and allow it to cool (stir occasionally) until it is no longer warm to the touch but is still liquid. If it’s too hot, it can melt your sugar and butter and you’ll have a goopy mess on your hands.
Secondly, make sure your butter is room temperature. If the butter is too cold, it can actually harden your chocolate, leaving you with hardened shards of chocolate all throughout your should-be silky smooth frosting.
You’ll also notice the frosting calls for 1-2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. This is what really makes your frosting nice and silky. Start by beating in just one tablespoon, and if the frosting still seems too stiff after that, go ahead and add your second. You don’t want it to be too runny or it’ll slide right off your cookies, and if you accidentally add too much cream you can still save your frosting by gradually adding more powdered sugar!
Want more chocolate chip recipes?
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
- Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich recipe
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Silicone Mat: I use a silicone mat on my baking sheet practically everytime I bake. The mat makes for easy cleanup and my foods don’t stick to the pan.
Piping Bag: Disposable pipings bags handy to have on hand for filling desserts & donuts and food decorating. Pop a coupler and icing tip on your bag or snip off the end and you’re all set!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) until well-creamed.
- Add sugars and beat on high speed until well-combined (about 1 minute).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Set mixer to low speed and gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Stir until well-combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded 2-tsp sized scoop onto prepared cookie sheets, at least 2" apart.
- Bake on 375F for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are beginning to turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack or filling with buttercream (cookies will be flat and will be fragile when warm).
- While cookies cool, prepare your frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips at 15-second intervals, stirring between intervals, until chips are completely melted. Set aside and allow to cool slightly (about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally).
- Cream room temperature butter with an electric mixer. Stir in slightly cooled chocolate and beat well.
- Gradually add sugar, scraping down the sides and bottom of bowl occasionally.
- Sprinkle in salt and vanilla extract, stir well.
- Gradually add heavy cream, increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute, pausing halfway through to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Spread or pipe chocolate frosting onto the bottom of one completely cooled cookie. Sandwich with another cooled cookie and repeat until all cookies have been filled.
If you love chocolate chip cookies you’ve gotta try out these Worst Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Or these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!