This easy, rich, and chewy CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CAKE is the perfect cake to make for your next birthday celebration!
When I was in elementary school (long ago) cookie cakes were all the rage, especially for celebrating birthdays. Someone even once brought in a double layer cookie cake! Now that was insane. We were eating cookie cake so often that I almost got sick of it.
Back in the day they didn’t allow homemade goods to be shared with the class which is quite a shame because homemade is the best (okay, there are exceptions… like if you’ve got a bad recipe… or bad cook). The cookie cake made from the bakery was good but as usual, I recently took the challenge to make my own.
While I’m currently obsessed with these Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies, I used the cookie dough recipe from my childhood that my mom made more times than I can count. The cookies are amazing and so is the dough! My mom was super cool and let my siblings and I eat spoonfuls of dough and she would even reserve some balls of dough to pack in our lunch. Talk about trading power at the lunch table! But I of course, would never give up something so delicious.
Sometimes my mom would form the dough into cookies, but she would also spread all of the dough in a jelly roll pan, bake it, and cut it into bars. It’s so much faster and easier to make bars and they taste just as yummy if not better, especially if you enjoy the chewy center of a cookie.
Anyway, for this cake you just whip up some cookie dough, eat a spoonful, spread the rest in pie plate or cake pan and bake it. Once it’s cooled you transfer it to a platter, top it with chocolate frosting and colorful sprinkles, and slice it up. Oh and then par-tay!
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a (8 or 9 inch) pie plate or cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugars together for 2 minutes and then mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Use a wooden spoon to mix in all but 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and then press the cookie dough into the pie plate. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips on top and press them down slightly.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let the cookie cool completely and then run a sharp knife along the edge to loosen and then use a large spatula (or two!) to transfer to a platter. Pipe on frosting along the edges and add the sprinkles.
- Beat all the frosting ingredients together until smooth, adding milk as needed. Place into a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip.