Cinnamon French Toast Waffles are soft and creamy on the inside, and crisp and golden on the outside. This breakfast hybrid is out-of-this-world good!!
Cinnamon French Toast Waffles are about to become your new favorite breakfast! What’s more fun than a twist on two of the most delish breakfast items ever?!
These waffles start with an easy French toast recipe and get some serious crispy magic on a waffle iron. The result? The most mouthwatering combination of French toast and waffles imaginable, with the flavor of fresh cinnamon rolls!
CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST WAFFLES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
If your kids are anything like mine, they’ll go crazy over the scent of warm cinnamon drifting through the air while these waffles cook.
What’s the best bread for French toast?
The key to getting the perfect custard-like texture in your French toast is choosing a good loaf of bread! Thick slices of Brioche is arguably one of the most popular options. This bread absorbs the egg & milk mixture perfectly to create that creamy custard consistency. But the truth is that you can use just about any bread you have on hand!
For this cinnamon French toast recipe, I decided to make things easy on myself by using cinnamon bread. Since it’s already swirled with cinnamon flavor, there’s no need to add spices or anything fancy to the egg & milk mixture. In my busy home, I’m all about practical ways to save time, so it’s a win-win!
Ingredients for French Toast Waffles
- Cinnamon swirl bread
- Vanilla extract
- Butter for the skillet
The vanilla extract gives the egg custard mixture an irresistible sweet flavor!
Feel free to substitute half & half or heavy cream for the milk if you want to take these waffles extra tasty!
How to Make French Toast Waffles
- First, you’ll prep the custard. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a shallow bowl. After mixing, dip a couple of slices of cinnamon bread in the egg mixture, coating both sides. While the bread is soaking, melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Next, it’s time to cook the bread. Place the egg soaked bread in the skillet. Cook until the underside of the bread starts to caramelize and become golden. Flip the bread and cook until golden on the other side, then place the bread aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Turn the slices of French toast into waffles by placing them on your preheated waffle iron one at a time. Close the lid and cook until golden brown. The waffles will set with indentations from the hot waffle iron and turn a little crispy on the outside. YUM!
- Then all you have to do is serve the waffles while they’re still warm with your favorite toppings!
How to Serve Waffles
A simple topping of butter and maple syrup will do. That being said, if you want to take your waffles recipe experience to another level, try one of these toppings:
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh fruit and berries
- Sliced bananas and chopped pecans
- Blueberry, blackberry, or raspberry syrup
- Fresh homemade whipped cream
- Apples and a drizzle of caramel
- Ice cream!
Try these other unique French toast recipes!
- French Toast Bake with Fruit
- Lemon Pound Cake French Toast Skewers
- Apple Pie Stuffed French Toast
- Berry French Toast Cups
- Nutella and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- More BREAKFAST recipes…
Tools used to make this Cinnamon French Toast Waffles recipe
Waffle Iron: This waffle iron makes the best thick and fluffy waffles. They come out perfect crispy crust on the outside of every single waffle.
Cast Iron Skillet: This enameled cast iron skillet is a home cook’s best friend! Its enamel coating is a great alternative to non-stick cookware. It’s ideal for frying, sauteing, braising, roasting, and so much more.
*This post originally posted on 06/01/2014.
- 8 slices cinnamon bread
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons butter for skillet
- In a shallow dish, like a pie plate, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and grease with butter.
- While cooking the french toast, preheat your waffle iron.
- Dip two slices of the cinnamon bread into the egg mixture and completely coat, allowing the bread to soak up a lot of the mixture.
- Place the bread slices into the skillet and cook until just golden. Then flip and cook the other side until just golden.
- Remove bread from the skillet and set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Place a cooked slice of French toast into the waffle iron and press the lid down.
- Allow french toast to cook for several minutes until waffle impressions are set and the waffle is golden brown.
- Serve warm with syrup or berries and cream.
Leave a Reply