These delicious Lemon Pound Cake French Toast Skewers make it OK to eat cake for breakfast!
LEMON POUND CAKE FRENCH TOAST SKEWERS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
We’re right at the tipping point between winter and spring when the sun is shining when you wake up in the morning but it is still cold enough out that you need to wear a coat. The daffodils are starting to bloom though so spring is in the air! When I think of spring I start getting excited for all of the beautiful, tasty spring brunch recipes that come with it. I want fresh fruit and tart lemon and these fun lemon pound cake french toast skewers have it all!
You didn’t hear that wrong, I said lemon pound cake french toast. I had made my lemon loaf the weekend before and it was getting towards the end of the loaf. I started to eat a slice for breakfast (don’t judge me!) when I thought of french toast. Why this is the first time that coating slices of pound cake in milk and eggs and frying them up so they are crisp on the outside and soft and moist on the inside I’ll never know. This recipe for lemon pound cake french toast skewers makes eating cake for breakfast totally acceptable!
I make my french toast a little different than the norm. I don’t add any milk. I just soak the bread in egg and fry it. It’s how my mom made it and I love it. My lemon pound cake french toast was no different but if you like adding milk to yours feel free. You’re basically taking your favorite french toast recipe and substituting bread for pound cake. Yum!! Once my lemon pound cake french toast was golden brown I cut each slice into three strips and cut those strips in half so I had 6 squares of french toast. I slide 2 -3 squares onto each skewer, alternating with fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Then I drizzle the skewers with syrup, sprinkled everything with a little powdered sugar, and breakfast was served!
I think these lemon pound cake french toast skewers would make an awesome brunch recipe for Easter or Mother’s Day. Who doesn’t want to eat cake for breakfast?!
- 1 loaf Lemon Pound Cake or bake your own Lemon Loaf !
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon of oil + more if needed
- 4 cups of fresh berries strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 2 tablespoon Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in frying pan over med heat.
- Cut pound cake into 1 ½ “ slices and soak each slice in the beaten eggs until saturated.
- Cook each slice until golden brown then flipping to cook the other side. About 2 mins on each side. Halfway through add the second teaspoon of oil and continue the process.
- Once the french toast is cooked cut each slice into three strips and cut the strips in half. This gives you 6 squares per slice of french toast.
- Place pound cake pieces on the skewer alternating between pound cake pieces and fruit. 2 -3 pieces of french toast per skewer.