Overnight Caramel French Toast is the perfect make ahead breakfast to treat your family or guests! You take all the credit and get to relax at the same time!
Love breakfast or hate it? It seems that most people are so far on one side of those feelings that there isn’t much of an in between. I remember when I was growing up my mom wouldn’t let us out of the door without a breakfast of some sort. She always told us that our brains wouldn’t work unless we ate breakfast and we didn’t question her. Looking back I’m surprised I just accepted that because I was a kid and questioned everything of course. The funny thing is I still believe it. I always, always, always have breakfast in the morning. She definitely instilled that in me!
As much as I love breakfast I love my sleep even more so I’m definitely not one bounding out of bed in the morning and whipping up a fantastic breakfast for the household. Nope. Not happening. I’m usually found snuggling under the covers, ignoring the kid that is making noise in the next room while hoping she goes to sleep. I can never have enough sleep in my life. Especially right now. I just wish that baby would sleep through the night again. She reverted to getting up in the middle of the night and I’m not sure which is worse. Getting some sleep while she did sleep through the night and then knowing what you were missing or if she would have just never slept through the night! Enter the terrific invention of over night breakfasts.
Overnight breakfasts are my new love, don’t tell my hubs! I can whip them up the night before and in the morning I can be completely brain dead, which I usually am, and still manage to pull off a breakfast that looks like I slaved over it for a long time in the morning. As people oohhh and ahhh over it I will not let them know how easy it was! You don’t have to either, yours secret is safe with me! This is the perfect breakfast for when you have visitors, are celebrating a holiday or a just because you think it’s awesome type of morning. The french toast is covered in a delicious caramel sauce and you will be smacking your lips when you enjoy this breakfast!
- 1 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices bread
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat. When the sugar is dissolved pour into the prepared pan.
- Place six slices of bread on top of the caramel. You might need to squish the slices together to make them all fit.
- In a small bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Sprinkle half of the mixture over bread in the pan. Top with remaining six slices of bread.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir in remaining half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and stir until combined. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Take french toast casserole out of the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover dish and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Remove from oven. Use a spatula to flip the bread slices over onto a plate so the caramel side is up. Top with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve immediately.
Craving More Overnight Breakfasts?
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!