Parmesan Chicken Tenders with Onion Dip is a quick and easy meal idea. Whether served as a main dish or appetizer, it’s a great way to satisfy picky eaters!
Parmesan Chicken Tenders with Onion Dip is a recipe that I know is always going to be a big hit with my family. This delicious chicken meal is easy to make and is kid-friendly, so it’s the perfect meal for picky eaters.
Before I developed my family’s newest chicken recipe addiction, these easy pan fried chicken tenders were my number one go-to dinner recipe!
PARMESAN CHICKEN TENDERS RECIPE WITH ONION DIP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your MAIN DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
What’s the difference between chicken tenders and chicken breasts?
Chicken tenders are made from chicken tenderloins, a totally different part of the chicken than chicken breasts. You can find these in the poultry/meat aisle of your local grocer. They are typically packed in a tray and resemble chicken strips.
In a pinch, you can definitely use chicken breasts to make this fried chicken tenders recipe! Simply cut the breasts into one-inch-thick strips before coating and frying the chicken.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Tenders
- Chicken tenders
- Salt & Pepper
- Breadcrumbs (I like to use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs instead of Panko crumbs)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Butter & olive oil
For the Onion Dip:
- A couple of large onions (sweet yellow onions are delicious in this recipe!)
- Butter & olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Beef bouillon cubes
- Black pepper
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
How to Make Chicken Tenders Recipe
- The first step is to dredge the chicken tenders. That takes three different components – a flour coating, an egg wash, and a breadcrumb coating.
- You’ll start with three shallow dishes. In the first, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Beat the eggs with a little water in another bowl, and mix the breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese in the third bowl.
- One by one, coat the chicken tenders in the flour mixture. Then dip them in the egg mixture and finally coat them in the crumb mixture. Press the crumbs into the chicken a little bit so that they don’t fall off. Lay the coated tenders out on a platter or lined cookie sheet if needed.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large saute pan on the stove and place the breaded chicken tenders in the pan. Cook for around 3 minutes over low to medium heat, until they’re just cooked through and browned on the outside.
- At this point, you can put the cooked chicken tenders on a cooling rack over a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven (200 degrees F) if needed. This will make sure you have crispy chicken too!
- To make the Onion Dip: Slice your onions into strips and saute them for 10 minutes in more butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the cayenne, bouillon, and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and cook the onions for about 20 more minutes or until they’re brown and caramelized. Turn off the heat and allow the onions to cool.
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo together until they’re smooth. You can do this with an electric mixer or food processor. Blend in the cooled onions, then serve the Onion Dip with your cooked chicken strips.
How to Serve Chicken Tenders
These easy chicken tenders are best served dipped right in the Onion Dip!
Other Chicken Tender Recipes I love!!
- Pecan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Cheddar Bacon Chicken Tenders
- Jalapeno Ranch Chicken Tenders
- Crockpot Maple Dijon Chicken Tenders
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Skewers
- More MAIN DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Chicken Tenders with Onion Dip recipe
Dredging Trays: Ths set of 3 dredging trays makes cooking breaded chicken easy as can be. No more dragging out every shallow bowl in your kitchen – you can do it all in one place.
Large Skillet: This large stainless steel skillet is one of my most-used pieces of cookware. It’s a heavy-duty skillet that is perfect for sauteing, frying, and more.
*This post originally posted on 11/06/2012.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1.5 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water in a second shallow bowl.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge the chicken tenders on both sides in the flour mixture. Then dip both sides into the egg mixture. Then roll chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly to help the breadcrumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Cook the chicken tenders for about 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. (Don't crowd the pan.)
- Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken tenders.
- Keep the chicken tenders warm in a preheated oven set to 200 degrees F on a baking sheet if needed. Serve with onion dip.
- Cut the onions in half and then cut into 1/8-inch thick slices. (about 3 cups)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Add the onions, beef bouillon cubes, cayenne, pepper, and black pepper.
- Saute for 10 minutes, being sure to smash the bouillon cubes and mix the granules in with the onions.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Remove from heat, and allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and beat together with a hand mixer.
- Add the onions and fold into the dip base until onions are incorporated.
- Instead of chicken tenders, you can use 3 big chicken breasts and sliced them into tenders.
- You can make the onion dip ahead of time and keep it stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
- Prep and cooking times are for both recipe simultaneously.
- Ntrution values assume all chicken and onion dip will be comsumed.