These HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS are so close to the original, you might not even know the difference!
I love peanut butter & I love chocolate, and this is a match made in heaven. Seriously who doesn’t love this combination? I remember growing up every holiday season my mother and I would make all kinds of holiday candy. Most of it was given away, but I remember our Homemade Peanut Butter Cups would disappear more quickly than the rest of the candy. The culprit was my brothers. They would eat these candies faster than we could make them.
This recipe is such an easy recipe, and it is one that my mother handed down to me. Making these brought back so many memories I felt like I was back in my childhood kitchen working alongside my mother making yummy candy. We would work for hours and our freezer would be just packed with candies of all flavors and shapes. I think these Peanut Butter Cups are my favorite!
This recipe is so close to the store-bought candy it is hard to believe they are homemade. You can even purchase brown paper candy cups on Amazon. I chose to use silicone cupcake liners instead of paper. I like being able to reuse them over and over. Another tip I can give you is to use quality milk chocolate. It makes a huge difference.
Would you have ever guessed there are graham crackers in a peanut butter cup? If you eat a “real” peanut butter cup the peanut butter portion has a texture to it. It’s not just peanut butter cloaked in chocolate. The contrast of textures is another thing that makes peanut butter cups so yummy!
- 12 oz milk chocolate
- 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 TBLS butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- To make the peanut butter mixture. Place peanut butter in a medium bowl. (If using graham cracker sheets, place in food processor and pulse into fine crumbs.) Pour crumbs into bowl with peanut butter and stir together with a wooden spoon until well blended. Microwave butter in a small bowl until melted and pour it into the peanut butter mixture. Add powdered sugar and the other 1/2 t . vanilla. Stir mixture until well blended and powdered sugar is fully incorporated into the peanut butter mixture.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter mixture and shape into a disk about the size of a silver dollar. Repeat until you have 12 disks.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate, stir until smooth. Place foil or paper baking cups in a miniature muffin tin. Place 1 tablespoon of chocolate in each cup.
- Place on peanut butter disk on top of chocolate.
- Top with remaining chocolate. Remelt chocolate if necessary. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until firm. Yield: 1 dozen.