CREAMY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP warms us up on those chilly fall evenings! The flavors are amazing and it’s total comfort food.
We hit a couple of weeks of amazing fall weather. We had temps in the 60’s and drizzly mornings with heavy rain on a couple of days. It was AMAZING!!! I love this weather. That’s why my husband and I know we found or forever home here in Oregon. I love getting snuggled up on the couch with a blanket and a bowl of soup to watch a movie or a football game with my husband. When we tried Creamy Chicken Tortilla soup for the first time we LOVED it! It was a nice alternative to chili. I was inspired by our Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe on Real Housemoms but wanted something creamy for even more comfort and Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup fit the bill.
Real Housemoms TV
It was so simple to make. I used a rotisserie chicken to make it even faster so it was really just chopping and dropping! That’s the best way to do quick and easy food for dinner. There is a bit of spice from the green chilies but not a lot. Then when you add the sour cream as a topping it really tames the heat. If you’re looking for more heat you could use a diced chilies with jalapeno or even habenero peppers. Rotel makes a few good options for heat. This was great for a warm lunch the next day too. I was worried about the corn tortillas but they did great even the next day, sort of like an enchilada.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 20 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies 2 - 10oz cans
- 29 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 oz. black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 corn tortillas cut in half then in 1/2 inch slices
- sour cream
- colby jack
- heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat
- add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes
- stir in garlic and cook another 1 minute
- season with salt and pepper
- add cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, chicken stock and heavy cream
- stir until all combined and bring to a boil
- reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- add in the tortilla slices
- serve with favorite toppings and enjoy!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!