Red potato salad is the ultimate BBQ side dish that has a bold, delicious flavor & is simple to make! It’s the perfect go-to salad that everyone will love!
Summer here and kids are starting to get out of school. That means it’s officially time to fire up our BBQ’s and have some fun with family and friends. Loaded with baby red potatoes roasted to perfection, then mixed with crispy bacon, hard-boiled eggs, onion, and a light creamy dressing – this red potato salad recipe is one you will have memorized in no time. Everyone will love you for bringing it to the party. Add Italian ingredients and you have Italian Prosciutto Potato Salad that will be just as big of a hit!
RED POTATO SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Salads are such a great way to spruce up the table at any cookout, and this red potato salad is a welcome change or addition to the classic potato salad we all know and love so well.
Salads have endless options, so why not this Summer along with this red skin potato salad, make this deliciously creamy grape salad, or this ultimate refreshing strawberry avocado salad. Both are easy to make and taste amazing.
What is potato salad?
The potato salad was known to originate in Germany and is a favorite side dish made from boiled potatoes and accompanying ingredients, such as hard-boiled eggs, bacon, celery, green onions, red potato salad with dill, etc.
How to make red potato salad
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and cut 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes into quarters and place on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Place cooked and crumbled bacon, sliced hard-boiled eggs, diced onion, seasoning, and roasted potatoes in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. In a small mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise and plain Greek yogurt and pour over the top of potato mixture. Gently stir to coat and top with additional bacon crumbles, paprika, and fresh diced parsley. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
How long to boil red potatoes for potato salad
This red potato salad recipe calls for roasting the red potatoes; however, you can also boil them. Bring a large pot of water with a teaspoon of salt to a rolling boil.
Place cut red potatoes into boiling water and let boil for 10-15 minutes. Just until tender, by not falling apart. Drain and cool for salad.
How do you roast red potatoes?
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Dice potatoes and place on a baking sheet — roast for 30 minutes.
How long does potato salad last?
When making red potato salad, it is best to cover and store in the refrigerator right away until ready to serve. If you have leftovers and wrap it tightly is can last three days in the fridge.
Check out more of our favorite BBQ side dishes here!
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Super Easy Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Rainbow Macaroni Salad
- 7 Layer Salad
- Cucumber Yogurt Dill Salad
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Red Potato Salad
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives and cutting board are essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must-have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Mixing Bowls: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
- 1.5 lb baby red potatoes cut into quarters
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 6 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- Paprika for garnish
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and cut 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes into quarters and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Place crumbled bacon (save a little for garnishing the top if you like), hard-boiled eggs, onion, dry mustard, garlic salt, pepper, and roasted potatoes in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise and plain Greek yogurt, pour over the top of potato mixture.
- Gently stir to coat and top with reserved bacon crumbles, paprika, and fresh diced parsley. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!