Every bite of these deliciously creamy scalloped potatoes topped with crispy cheesy goodness is the ultimate treat for your entire family!
Hi, there! I’m Shinee (Shin-eh), and I blog at Sweet and Savory by Shinee. I’m so excited to contribute my favorite recipes here on Real Housemoms.
I love potatoes in every shape and form so much so my husband planted a huge garden of potatoes just for me! We had a huge variety of them: fingerlings, reds, purple Peruvians, and good old russets. I’m having so much fun! Today, I’m excited to share with you my family’s favorite scalloped potatoes recipe.
Real Housemoms TV
Thinly sliced potatoes are smothered with flavorful creamy goodness, layered with ton of cheese and topped with crispy panko topping. It’s an ultimate comfort food to warm your soul.
I have tried using just heavy cream in this recipe, but it was just too thick. Mixing the heavy cream and milk yields the best creamy texture, plus added flour helps to thicken the mixture as well. You can flavor the creamy sauce however your heart desires. Don’t like cilantro? Switch it with parsley. Like more garlic? Add more garlic. Throw in some ham, if you’d like. Possibilities are endless! But just know, the recipe, as is, is pretty delicious too!
To ensure every bite of this goodness is cheesy one, I’m adding the cheese in between the layers. So good! And final touch is crispy Panko topping. I like to add some texture in my dishes, and Panko is absolutely perfect!
And guess what? It tastes even better the next day! Enjoy!
What is your favorite potato dish? Let me know in the comments.
- Cooking spray
- 4 medium russet potatoes washed and peeled (or just scrubbed well)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray at least 2-inch deep 8x8in baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch thin slices.
- In a jug, whisk together heavy cream, milk, flour, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the potatoes in prepared baking dish, pour half of the heavy cream mixture over the potatoes and spread 1 cup of the cheese. Layer the remaining potato slices, pour the remaining cream mixture and bake for 40 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes. Spread evenly the remaining ½ cup of cheese and Panko and bake for 5 more minutes. If desired, broil for 1-2 minutes for beautiful golden color. Let it rest on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!